Automatic defog clobbering manual climate selection

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droxtal

Recently observed this strange behaviour of the climate control system: in Auto mode the system was directing air to the front windshield defog vents, then I manually selected the cabin foot/body vents, after a couple of seconds the main display showed that the system defaulted back to the defog vents. The light on the Auto button remained extinguished.

I thought manual selections to climate control did not automatically get overriden. Curious to know if this is normal behaviour, did not see anything about this in the owners manual.

I see the same behavior in my Soul. No matter what setting I have the climate control on, it seems to go into defog-mode sometimes. And all I can do is being patient and wait until it is done.

I wonder if the humidity/moisture sensor that is on the window behind the rear-view mirror is signaling that the windshield needs to be cleared or kept clear. Maybe that is what is going on.

Could be, although it should really work that way only in Auto, I would have thought sensor input is bypassed once a manual selection is made. Not really a big deal in this case, but in general allowing the car to override manual input commands is somewhat disappointing...not the design philosophy I would have expected.

If the Auto vent light blinks and prevent you from changing it, make sure you activate a/c first then it will allow to do anything.

Back