Battery discharge rate in stand-by mode ?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PIFOUKIA

Hello from France,

Can you tell me what is the discharge rate when the SOUL EV is not used and not connected to power supply ? Because I want to know how many day It will keep its charge.

For example, in France we have an AutoLib service with BOLORE BlueCar for car sharing. This car is always connected to power supply when not in use but because a battery self heating system to keep it at 80°C all the time, The battery is empty in 2.5 day... then not for personnal use.

PIFOUKIA said:
Hello from France,

Can you tell me what is the discharge rate when the SOUL EV is not used and not connected to power supply ? Because I want to know how many day It will keep its charge.

For example, in France we have an AutoLib service with BOLORE BlueCar for car sharing. This car is always connected to power supply when not in use but because a battery self heating system to keep it at 80°C all the time, The battery is empty in 2.5 day... then not for personnal use.

That's a good question. In the past two months the longest I've gone without driving my car is a day and a half, but in that time the discharge experience is nothing like you're describing--my Soul lost little or no range in that time. In fact, the car uses only a minuscule amount of electricity when turned off, and I'm pretty sure that current is supplied by the small on-board 12v battery.

Thank you for this first response ;) , I have read that the battery is only heated when connected to the power supply to have the soul ev ready to go at good battery temperature. If it is the case then the stand-by current should be very low when not connected and that's perfect :p

But it means that the consumption when charged at 100% is not null, can you mesure what is the stand-by current when battery is fully charged and the car still pugged in the wall socket ?

All battery types lose charge over time, but the natural discharge rates are very low for the lithium ion and lithium polymer cells used in late-model EV battery packs.

I found this article about the Nissan Leaf's loss of range while parked: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1075241_how-much-range-does-your-leaf-lose-if-you-unplug-it-for-8-days

In this informal test, the Leaf lost 6 miles (10 km) of projected range over 8 days of sitting parked and not plugged in, so just over a km per day. Obviously the Leaf is not the Soul EV, but the two architectures are similar enough to be a useful example.

PIFOUKIA said:
But it means that the consumption when charged at 100% is not null, can you mesure what is the stand-by current when battery is fully charged and the car still pugged in the wall socket ?

Yes the car will periodically continue to periodically draw some current as needed, just as a cell phone would when left plugged in after receiving a full charge.

I left the car for a week or so at the airport and if the charge wasn't identical to when I parked it, it was very very close.

In my experience there is almost no "vampire drain" in the Soul EV.

Thanks for your experience, it's exactly this kind of information I was looking for !

Then that's good, Soul Ev can still some days without be plugged and still usable :mrgreen:

Has anyone left there car 'on' without driving it for any extended length of time? Strange question I know, but I ask because I'm taking it to the drive-in theatre on Saturday and it will be left on for 4.5hrs not plugged in. I assume the 12v batt is only kept charged while the car is 'on'. The 12v is the one I'm thinking may die if only acc was turned on.

:? Sorry for the thread jack, figured it was similar enough

LFFarm said:
Has anyone left there car 'on' without driving it for any extended length of time? Strange question I know, but I ask because I'm taking it to the drive-in theatre on Saturday and it will be left on for 4.5hrs not plugged in. I assume the 12v batt is only kept charged while the car is 'on'. The 12v is the one I'm thinking may die if only acc was turned on.

:? Sorry for the thread jack, figured it was similar enough

With no HVAC, lights, or accessories (other than radio) running, the Soul uses ~500W continuous at idle in Park. Over 4.5 hours this would use ~2.25 kWh or about 8.5% of a full charge.

Leave a 10% margin of error in your available charge for that trip and you should be fine.

I think the draw on the high voltage battery depends on the state of charge of the 12V battery. I just tried leaving my Soul 'on' with just the radio (and the led running lights). It started around 0.35kW, but after a few minutes the power draw was 0.15kW.

I guess the 12V battery is slowly being discharged when the car is parked, just like an ICE, so when you 'start the enigne' the 'alternator' (DCDC converter) has to work a little harder at first to replace the lost charge.

I left my car in garage for two weeks while in Mexico. It was cool 5 or 6C in there while we were gone. It was 80% charged and was 80% charged when I got home!

Back