Best charging solution for a Condo in Venice

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcoMom

I have been doing some research on charging, got my EV+ late last night.

Haven't been too worried since I have chargers at work and always a stall open at least every other day.

Condo has dedicated parking spots and the HOA owned 120v outlet is right next to my parking spot.

Trying to figure out if something like EverShare makes more sense or if I should just pay to have a 240v plug put in and have a removable level 2 charger so I can take it with me if/when I move...

I haven't approached the HOA yet, but I think if I do all the research and pay for it all, it should be fine as it is a small building.

Hi EcoMom, congrats on getting a new EV. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I have had mine a year now and have had no problems at all. I have an L2 charger at home because that was provided as part of the government subsidy on EV cars here. But I would have managed fine without. My commute is small and there is a free L2 at work. There are also plenty of public fast chargers within a short distance of my house. You didn't say how far your commute is. For a long commute you should definitely get an L2 at home.

You are sensible to be well prepared before talking to the other residents. Here the local government has been polling the resident groups in apartment blocks to allow EV charging facilities. The communal electricity powers the car park lighting and the elevators. A scare story went around that multiple EVs charging could short the power and cause people to be stuck in the elevator. Most resident groups voted no.

My commute is about 30 miles round trip, so with 93 mile range, I could charge at work every other day. If I stop at a Whole Foods Market near my home, I can use a free L2 charger while doing some groceries and stretch out another day without charging, probably.

My job is supposed to be moving to a longer commute -- 42 miles round trip and it makes me a little nervous as that commute will be mostly freeway, high speed driving. I wonder if it will significantly reduce my range. I'd like to have an L2 charger eventually at home as I work freelance and won't always have a job that I can charge at.

It seems that avoiding 3rd party billing would be best. I think I'll reach out to some electricians and find out the cost for adding a 240V outlet and a meter if it's the HOA's outlet.

My wife has a 45mi, round trip commute (mostly highway).
She can NOT charge at work, and at first we only had the 110v charger.

She could not go every day, solely using the 110v charger. She would drive it Mon and Tue, then I would take it for my short commute on Wed, then Thur and Fri she would take it.

Now that we have the 220v, we never worry.

If you can charge it, even slowly at work, you might be OK using the 110v at home. But for a 45mi commute, we needed more that just the 110v at home.

EcoMom said:
Trying to figure out if something like EverShare makes more sense or if I should just pay to have a 240v plug put in and have a removable level 2 charger so I can take it with me if/when I move...

I haven't approached the HOA yet, but I think if I do all the research and pay for it all, it should be fine as it is a small building.

I'm in the same situation -- HOA, community outlet in stall, etc. -- and I've recently made a deal with the HOA to pay an additional charge to my monthly dues to use the outlet. I've read some horror stories in other forums, so I highly suggest contacting the HOA immediately, just to set expectations and avoid drama.

I'm guessing you meant "Evercharge" in the original post, who seem to have the most sensible solution to multi-unit dwellings, but I think their way of setting up a charging system would require much more work than a one-off installation of a dedicated 240v outlet.

Early on in my Kia ownership, I had inquired around for installing a dedicated circuit to my parking spot. They told me it would cost tens of thousands to install, because of the distance of the panel to my spot, and the design of the parking area, which would require trenching. Find out where the panel to the outlet near your stall is located, then imagine how a new line would reach your spot. If any of the line has to travel through walls or across a driveway, expect it to be an expensive job.

I had suggested Evercharge to the HOA, but, since there are only two EVs in the entire complex, we can get by sharing a 120v outlet, and paying the HOA less than Evercharge's monthly fee.

kiastormtrooper said:
I had suggested Evercharge to the HOA, but, since there are only two EVs in the entire complex, we can get by sharing a 120v outlet, and paying the HOA less than Evercharge's monthly fee.

How did you determine what fee you should pay to the HOA for your electricity usage?

Thanks in advance!

I had made an estimate of the cost via our electric company website -- they have a kwh calculator and post their rates -- but the HOA presented me with the fee at the meeting I attended (to discuss EV charging). Since it was less than my estimate, I gladly accepted the extra charge. My estimate was $40-50, and they asked for $20.

kiastormtrooper said:
I had made an estimate of the cost via our electric company website -- they have a kwh calculator and post their rates -- but the HOA presented me with the fee at the meeting I attended (to discuss EV charging). Since it was less than my estimate, I gladly accepted the extra charge. My estimate was $40-50, and they asked for $20.
Nice deal!

Back