Chargepoint EVSE reported charging at 5.6kW

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At home my Soul charges at about 7kW... not sure whether it slows down for the last few percent though.

fanbanlo said:
The app reported the soul ev charges at 5.6kW. Sounds about right?
Are you referring to a public ChargePoint charger? One ChargePoint charger we've used only charges at a maximum of 5.9 kW in our Focus Electric, even though the station is listed at 6.6 kW. This station also only runs at about 195 V which is part of why it puts out less power. Another ChargePoint station (also listed as 6.6 kW) can put out 7.2 kW to our Focus Electric, this station shows 245 V.

Yes it seems like it's always 30 amps times whatever volts the local mains is at. We're usually at 240V which gives 7200 Watts.

Doesn't seem to slow down for the last few percent, by the way, I watched it carefully yesterday.

hybridbear said:
fanbanlo said:
Are you referring to a public ChargePoint charger? One ChargePoint charger we've used only charges at a maximum of 5.9 kW in our Focus Electric, even though the station is listed at 6.6 kW. This station also only runs at about 195 V which is part of why it puts out less power. Another ChargePoint station (also listed as 6.6 kW) can put out 7.2 kW to our Focus Electric, this station shows 245 V.
Yes, at public ChargePoint charger. I guess that's why, I wish I know which one runs at 220V.

fanbanlo said:
hybridbear said:
fanbanlo said:
Yes, at public ChargePoint charger. I guess that's why, I wish I know which one runs at 220V.
It would depend on the type of electrical service. Normal commercial service is 3 phase and thus 208 V or so. The ChargePoint station near us that runs about 245 V is at a State Park. The State Park must have residential service, thus the 245 V. At our apartment we only get about 208-209 V because the underground garage where we charge has 3 phase commercial service.

Got an answer from ChargePoint:

Thank you for contacting ChargePoint support. This is normal. There are a lot of things that determine how much energy a vehicle can pull from a station. The biggest is the vehicles onboard charger. Even though many vehicles are capable of pulling 6.6 kW, they are set to pull less. Other things that determine this are things like, distance to the power source, 208V vs 240V, adapters, wiring and such. This seems to be be falling in the normal range for most stations. I hope this answers your question.

:geek:

Back