Electronics dead

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akovia

Three times in the past two days. I unlock with key fob, buckle in, step on brake, hit the go button. Nothing happens. Lock/unlock by hand from inside. Nothing. Get out, open and close driver door. Get in and try again. The first time, that worked. Second time only after opening/closing all doors. Third time I read the manual where it says to touch the end of the key fob to the start button. That worked. Now I wonder what might be causing this gremlin? When in non-function mode, the remote door locks don't work. Thanks.

Akovia said:
step on brake, hit the go button. Nothing happens. Lock/unlock by hand from inside. Nothing.

12v ACID battery is required to start an EV engine.

hvf2vE.jpg

your 12v ACID battery is dead.
change it.

12v ACID battery ("batterie d'origine" on this picture) have a warranty for 2 years.

UgNohB.jpg

Thanks but I think not. Car is three months old. Fussing with door closing/locking/unlocking seems to reset something, and it will start. Battery tester says 12v has full charge. Can it be a software thing? I didn't see any other posts on the topic.

full charge of ACID is 13,8-14,3v.
13,1v after 24h and at 0°C.

if you measure 12v, your battery is dead (a wire ...).

A further development this evening. After placing the fob on the start button (suggested in the manual), I moved it to the garage. Hit the start button to shut off, and the screen went dark, but the LED panel lights remained on. Headlights (on "Auto") also on. Got out, closed the door, hit the lock button on the fob (to turn off the HL) and the car did not lock, the HL did not go off, the panel light did not turn off. I got back in, pushed the start button, the screen lit up, car started. I pressed the start button again, and the car finally turned off. My bride asked "did you have your foot on the brake when you hit the off button?". I don't know. Does that make a difference? Well, I don't know what's going on, but I'm pretty sure it is not the 12V accessory battery. Thanks for any ideas.

It sounds like the 12V battery to me too.
Have you tried plugging the car in and charging for a while.
The 12V battery gets charged by the car either when driving or plugged in and charging.
When the 12V battery is being charged it will be at 14.4V

The 12V battery is under warranty, if this problem persists get it serviced.

Akovia, I don't know which dealer you got your car from but Adrian, the tech at Kia of Portland on Broadway, is quite sharp.

Thanks, Gizmo. I am hopeful that the guys at Beaverton Kia can check accessory battery condition ( tho I doubt that is the issue). It is a good place to start ;)

Back