First Long Drive Report

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddhaauthor

Hi all,

Nothing astounding here, I just wanted to share how happy I was with the car's first long drive. We took it from Hollywood to Westward Beach at Point Dume, about 43 miles one way. We began at 100% SOC (115 miles on the GOM). We took a few side trips and went 103.9 miles, with 2500ft of elevation gain and loss, four persons in the car going out and six (!) coming back, and the AC on, and yet we ended up with 17% SOC left (17 miles on the GOM) when we arrived home. Driving history says we averaged about 4.4mpKwh on the freeways and 4.3mpKwh in the residential hills, but according to the SOC we were doing better than that. If we used 83% of the battery to go 104 miles, 100% would take us 125 miles! My wife was complaining and saying we should take the ICE before the trip, but by the end she was totally won over. We're very happy.

Next I want to try to make it to Joshua Tree!

Franz

Quite better than my experience with my '15 EV+. My GOM has never been more than 98 mi. with SOC of 100 %.

Curious as to your relevant details: "freeway speed" , trip speed, B or D setting, tire pressure.

edzee3 said:
Quite better than my experience with my '15 EV+. My GOM has never been more than 98 mi. with SOC of 100 %.

Curious as to your relevant details: "freeway speed" , trip speed, B or D setting, tire pressure.

Perhaps those are the reasons for our differing GOM estimates. I always drive in B. I really like it; in fact I used to coast as much as possible even in my old ICE vehicle, now I'm happiest when I don't touch the brake for miles. I wish the regenerative braking was stronger; I'd like to be able to come to a complete stop as with the BMW i3. I also tend to drive in ECO mode, and was doing so that day. Regarding freeway speed, it was typical LA weekend driving, so hardly ever under 60, though I tried not to exceed 65. Finally, I don't know what my tire pressure is. Thanks for reminding me: I haven't checked the tires in the seven weeks since I got the car. I should do that!

SoulEV is an excellent car for around town driving, but i have to admit i still have range anxiety for long road trips (ones that require charging before getting home), expect (or worry) the unexpected, like when the charging spot is ICEd, or EV fully charged but not leaving.

mysoulev, I hear you. What's the charging network like in BC? We lived there for ten months years ago and we LOVED it. Our daughter wants to move there (and a sister of a friend just got accepted to UBC, so she's planning ahead). But I have to admit I am spoiled by the richness of charging stations down here in Los Angeles. I can get free Level Two charing while I shop at Trader Joe's (the only other reason to live here instead of Vancouver).

buddhaauthor said:
Nothing astounding here, I just wanted to share how happy I was with the car's first long drive. We're very happy.

Next I want to try to make it to Joshua Tree!

Franz

Hi Franz,
I'm wondering how you and your wife felt after the long trip. It has been my experience that I have a severe headache after driving mostly freeway and trouble sleeping at night among other things. I know it doesn't affect everybody the same and I hope my question is not offending you. I'm driving a 2016 Kia Soul EV+.

Hi socalgal,

Of course, no offense at all. I read your other thread and I'm so sorry that you are having this negative physical reaction to the car. Neither my wife nor I nor our passengers (a bunch of 12 year old girls) had any adverse reactions to the drive in the EV (neither base nor +). I note that the conversation on the other thread has centered on the anomalous reaction of your body. I'd like to suggest the possibility of the anomalous character of your specific vehicle. Perhaps there's something amiss with it and not Kia Soul EVs in general. In any case, I do hope you find a resolution.

Franz

I see that you have a "Titanium Base" on your vehicle. My doctor mentioned that Telsa modified vehicles for their EMF sensitive customers to make them driveable for them. Could it be a titanium base that protects against the EMF radiation? I also brought it in for service to have the battery checked and they found nothing wrong with it.

Socalgal said:
I see that you have a "Titanium Base" on your vehicle. My doctor mentioned that Telsa modified vehicles for their EMF sensitive customers to make them driveable for them. Could it be a titanium base that protects against the EMF radiation? I also brought it in for service to have the battery checked and they found nothing wrong with it.

I'm under the impression that Titanium refers to the paint color of the car.

Yes, at mtndrew1 says, it's just the exterior color, nothing special. I did, though, run into my first fellow Soul EV driver on Saturday. He also has the Titanium color and still loves it after a year.

Back