Getting a power inverter - what size to not drain the 12v battery too quickly?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MassDeduction

I’m hoping to get a power inverter to hook up to the 12v battery in a power outage. What size would not exceed a 2922 Soul EV’s ability to top the 12v battery up? This is a Canadian unit, in case that makes a difference. Thanks very much!

If you are going to use the inverter with the car in "ON" mode, so that the dc/dc converter is powered, the limitation is not the battery, but the output of the converter. The converter 12V output is in parallel with the battery, so, if the battery is fully charged, it will just float across the converter, and play no part in the exercise. The converter is sized to operate all the auxiliary services AND top-up the battery. I don't know the specs of the converter, but Chat GPT says:

"The maximum current output of the DC/DC converter in the KIA Soul EV can vary based on the specific model year and design specifications. Generally, for the KIA Soul EV, the DC/DC converter is designed to supply up to approximately 140 amps of current at 12 volts. This high current output is necessary to support the various electrical systems and components of the vehicle, including lights, audio equipment, and other accessories. However, for precise and current details, it's recommended to refer to the specific technical specifications provided by KIA for the particular model year of the Soul EV."

I’m hoping to get a power inverter to hook up to the 12v battery in a power outage. What size would not exceed a 2922 Soul EV’s ability to top the 12v battery up? This is a Canadian unit, in case that makes a difference. Thanks very much!
Really 150 to 175 watts make sure the vehicle is running turned on not is accessory, don't over use this is not designed for many hours continuously. You could wreck your Electrical harness, it's a very expensive repair once they figure out that's what's actually wrong. Sorry but my faith in Stealerships and there Technicians is pretty much non-existent. For the last 10-15 years I've been the one figuring out what's wrong our cars. Not bragging just reporting my experience. A good rule of thumb is if it gets hot to the touch unplug it.

As skipsteel says, you must connect to a point that can support the current you intend to draw. The battery positive is connected via a cable which is sized to carry the maximum charging current of the battery, which will be well below what the converter can output. If that is 60A (a guess), then the most you can draw from that point is 60*12=720W.

Back