High pitch whine?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
schnort said:
So the service manager said it was the 'charge manager' or something like that (he wasn't really well versed, and I wasn't taking notes).

They ordered parts and it's back ordered....for up to 6 months.

They called KIA USA and supposedly got it promised by the end of the month, so I'm in a rental paid for by KIA until then.

The dealership said they couldn't unwind the lease or switch me to a different car because KIA had already taken ownership and registered the car, but if it wasn't resolved in a month that KIA would probably initiate a buy back.

Sorry to hear this. I assume they heard this sound as well when driving the car too, or was it "measured" in some way?

I hear mine, but its pretty low. However if there is a problem, maybe I should have it brought in to have it looked at. I mean I only have under 1K on the mileage so far...

So I was a bit bored and curious at 1AM, so I decided I would test my car as well.

Although mine isn't really bad, I still hear it and now I "see" it. Usually happens when I am above 40 MPH or so. I tried to turn the radio on/off, heater on/off, display on/off - nothing really helped besides lowing my speed or just turn the radio up louder (usually around 5 or 6). Maybe I should take my car in as well...

Un-zoomed graph:

I brought my car in due to this whine today. I went to the dealer for something else, and I spoke to the service manager about it in passing. He was perplexed based on the data that I collected and he advised me to come back tomorrow for further analysis. More updates to follow...

They actually replaced the motor....and nothing changed.

I drove a '17 model and the problem exists there to some degree.

Unfortunately, I think it's a design flaw. I'm initiating a discussion with the regional sales manager to unwind the deal, because I really prefer not to tolerate it and wouldn't have signed the lease if I had had enough time in the car to notice it.

It's a shame, because otherwise the car is a pleasant drive, and reasonably well appointed.

We drive another 16 that was on the lot, and it had the same problem. Even the tech heard it as well. Not only that, when he went for EV training, he brought that up to Kia cause he heard it on those "training" cars.

After listening to the sound of the car in the underground garage it sounds almost the same as the pedestrian warning sound on my Mitsubishi I-Miev. It will make the sound when stopped in neutral or when in a drive gear up to about 20 mph when it goes away.
Stay charged my friend.

I hear this too.

Did you not hear this sound when you took the car on a test drive? My previous Volt and Leaf didn't make this sound, and it does seem unique to each Kia Soul EV. I heard it on my test drive, and I usually have some sort of music playing so it doesn't bother me. Let us know if they let you take your car back.

No high pitch whine in my Soul even though I am very sensitive to high pitch sounds. As mentioned there is a pedestrian alert noise maker up to 18.5 mph (30 kph) that from the cockpit has a sort of chime sound. Goes away after 18.5 mph. I am amazed by the solid quietness of this vehicle.

KIA USA basically said "that's how the car is, and they're all like that. you need to address this through your local lemon laws".

Hurrah.

They've lost a customer for life.

Actually, I didn't.

I drove a similar car for 5 minutes, and didn't notice the issue at the time. I was focused on other things and not looking for an annoying tinnitus whine because I didn't expect anybody to actually allow that to be manufactured.

I picked up my particular car to drive home (it had something being replaced on it, so it wasn't ready for a week) and noticed it after a few minutes on the freeway. I reported it immediately and was assured by the dealership it would be remedied. It spent three weeks in the shop getting the motor replaced, and came back...well...about the same.

before sell it, try others electrics car ... to check (for a 30min trip) if the sound is the same.
the car builder don't use the same motor controller and so, the noise on the motor will be at others tones.

i drive many electric "things" ... and the PWM phase current that it generates noise are always different ... and change from motor to an other (not the same type) with a identical manufactured controller.

from 50A to 750A in phase current.
Kia Soul EV use 3300A in phase current.

Back