Increasing consumption, decreasing range, why?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drapo

Hi there, I have owned my 2016 Soul EV for a month and decided to take a «Long range» trip. Montréal to Québec is around 250km (155 miles), so I was planning a conservative two stops to recharge at two of the Circuit Électrique network BRCC (fast charge). On my way to Québec, fully charged, on a sunny day with A/C on, I made a first stop after 125km (75mi) with around 20% remaining. At 105km/hr(65mph), I was consuming around 15kw/h. After a 20 minute charge, back on the road for 85km and another 20 minute recharge. Consumption again at 15kw/h.

On my way back, at night, cloudy and sometimes rainy, I made a first BRCC recharge to 80% before leaving and was planning recharge after 60km or 125km, depending on how it went. While driving, I took a glance at my consumption which was high at 23kw/h and soon found out that I would have to make a stop at 60km. After the 20 minutes recharge, took the road and had two options, 80km or 125km. As I went by a BRCC station, I took a look at my remaining range, which was showing 25km and the next BRCC which was 33km and decided to go back and recharge. Consumption was still high at 23kw/h and I didn't want to take a chance. 20 minutes BRCC recharge at 80% and took the road and had to stop for another recharge after 80km, barely making it with 5km remaining... Made the rest of the way home and plugged it on the 240V charger.

Next morning, went 25km to work, fully charged, consumption was its usual under 15kw/h, some at highway speed, and took barely 20km of range to get there.

I'm puzzled as to what happened on my return leg. Where the BRCC responsable for the shortened range? Is there something I don't understand about this situation? Anybody can figure out an answer as to why the return leg consumption was so out of the ordinary?

Thanks,
Pierre

Did you have the screen demist setting on as you were in rain? That really uses up a ton of power (I've seen 5kW).

Driving on wet roads will use more power as the tyres have to pump the water out of the way, but I'd be surprised if it was that much.

notfred said:
Did you have the screen demist setting on as you were in rain? That really uses up a ton of power (I've seen 5kW).

Driving on wet roads will use more power as the tyres have to pump the water out of the way, but I'd be surprised if it was that much.

I tought about that too but demist was on but consumed about .8kwh

Birkeland said:
I have seen high consumption with rain and headwind. That is my guess.

Thought about that too, but I had to go back 2km to the second BRCC and was still consuming 23kwh with the tailwind...

Thanks for the hints, but I think it's those Gremlins again... :?

Back