Is SoulEv the problem with Blink HQ delay charging?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edman98

I installed a Blink HQ charger for my 2015 SoulEV. It works great when charging instantly. We have not configured any delay schedule charging on the SoulEV

The Blink HQ charger has a delay feature, where it counts down 2H, 4H, 6H, etc then starts charging. Every time we use this feature, following the count down delay (which blinks while counting down), the charger goes back to Ready state and the car does not charge. What we do at that point is unplug/plug and charging starts instantly.

I've contacted Blink Support stating that the delay feature doesn't work. They will RMA.

My buddy was saying that the problem may be the SoulEV, in that, if the SoulEV sees the charger plugged in, but does NOT see a charge for x time, then the SoulEV may DISABLE the plug thinking there was a problem.

True?

I'm seeing something similar with my Blink (the old one - 3 years old). It has a time based charger start time, and for my Leaf for the last three years, it has worked 100% of the time to start charging at 12:30am. For the Kia, it doesn't work. Same as you, if I plug in the car, and then "start charging now" it works fine, but if I let the charger count down to it's delay until 12:30am, then it won't charge.

I don't think it's your charger, I think it's the Kia. Probably should not return it to Blink.

What I plan to do is use the timer in the Kia to start charging at 12:30am, and make the blink just "charge" immediatly, getting the same end result. It's a bit of a pain, because I'll have to turn off the Kia timer when I plug in at work, since I don't want to delay there, but it's the functional workaround that I've found.

Anyone else with a non-Blink charger with a timer have it working with the Soul EV?

gabeyd said:
What I plan to do is use the timer in the Kia to start charging at 12:30am, and make the blink just "charge" immediatly, getting the same end result. It's a bit of a pain, because I'll have to turn off the Kia timer when I plug in at work, since I don't want to delay there, but it's the functional workaround that I've found.

You do know that is a simple button push, right? If you forget and plug in and notice the center charge light blinking you don't have to unplug to cancel the timer, just press the disable timer button and in a moment charging will start. I haven't tried the other way, however (start charging then enable time delay charging to see if it stops charging until the charge time).

I'm finding that regardless of whether the charge time override switch is on, or whether the override switch is not on and the set charge time window is NOT the current time - charging from the Blink HQ charger starts immediately.

I too think this is probably a problem with the car software not the charger. I have similar problems trying to use the timer on my charger. I use an ecarplug. It has a phone app that includes a timer function. But if you set it the car will ignore it and not start charging. If the car software timer (either in the car or via the UVO app) is set the ecarplug will ignore that setting and just start charging straight away. I contacted ecarplug 3 months ago about this issue. They came around and tested it, saw the problem and said they would get back to me. But so far I have got no reply. Reading this thread makes me assume it is probably better to contact Kia. Will post again if I get any message back.

Back