Little things owners have noticed on the Soul EV

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That feature is called "creep" and Tesla is the only car I know of that gives you an option to toggle it.

It is a throw-back to ICE cars, so people feel more at home in the transition. Like how the first cars were designed to look like horse carriages, instead of what a motor car needed to look like.

wrickcook said:
That feature is called "creep" and Tesla is the only car I know of that gives you an option to toggle it.

It is a throw-back to ICE cars, so people feel more at home in the transition. Like how the first cars were designed to look like horse carriages, instead of what a motor car needed to look like.

Sorry, I wasn't sure how technical the crowd is here which is why I described my desire instead of just saying it is a software hack to imitate ICE cars. I would like to bring more awareness to the fact that this is not a normal function of a DC engine, but an added "feature" the manufacturer threw in unnecessarily. Personally I feel it is a less safe way to operate the vehicle.

Consider waiting at a red light in traffic and you reach for something in the car and your foot slips off the brake. If you don't manage to get it engaged again you end up rear ending the person in front of you. Also, and this has happened to me a few times, the person behind you doesn't stop in time and hits you from behind. If your brake is engaged then the fenders take the full force of the hit causing more damage than if the car was able to bounce forward not having any friction to move.

So since there is currently no way to disable it, does anyone have any suggestions on how to persuade the manufacturer to add it in a future firmware update?

ralyon

Including creep never really bothered me, I like creep when going thru a drive thru. I agree it is a concern with your foot slipping off while reaching for something, but I don't like the idea of sitting there without any pedals pressed.

Someone hitting you from behind will either drive you into the car in front of you, or push you into the intersection with possible cross traffic.
I would rather be locked where I stopped the car, meaning keep my foot on the brake.

I was referring to a slow speed while someone is stopping as apposed to not stopping and smashing through you. If you are pushed into the car in front of you on the more common slow speed bumps than you are not allowing for the proper space between cars when you come to a stop and if you are moving into the intersection that means you have crossed both the stop bar and the crosswalk already before you were hit. Plus, not having the car creep on it's own doesn't mean you have to stop applying the brake, it then becomes your choice.

I don't like the idea of the manufacturer forcing everyone to drive like there were still in an automatic ICE. I mean if your going to alter they way a car functions just to try and make some people feel more comfortable with the transition, at least give the option to disable it for those of us who don't need it.

It sounded like you were saying you did not like creep, because you like to sit at an intersection and not press either pedal. That way if a car hits you from behind the fender does not take the full force. You are able to bounce forward, absorbing some of the shock.
And creep makes it where you can't sit still.

My point was, in bouncing forward, you could hit another car (if one is in front of you), or be bounced into traffic. Both bad alternatives.
I feel having to hold the brake is better than involving a 3rd car.

But maybe you were not saying you wanted to sit at an intersection with your feet off both pedals. But that is how I took:

Also, and this has happened to me a few times, the person behind you doesn't stop in time and hits you from behind. If your brake is engaged then the fenders take the full force of the hit causing more damage than if the car was able to bounce forward not having any friction to move.

I don't believe continuing this discussion here is productive to the group. If you are interested in understanding what I was talking about, please PM me.

Back