Need Advice!!! Drove in rain with charging port open!!!

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MontereyEV

I was rushing and disconnected my car and just started driving. Went about 4 blocks ranging in speeds from 25-45 mph before I realized and pulled over to close the orange cover and the door.

The inside of the charging port is wet. What do I do? I'm sure I can't charge it wet.

Do you have an air compressor or bike pump? You can try to blow the water out. Office air canisters would work good too. Cotton swabs would probably work to. It's highly unlikely you'll get shocked as current doesn't flow until until a proper charger is connected.

If it's any consolation, I've left my Ford Focus Electric port open in the rain several times and everything was fine. Just try to dry it out or try to wait until it's dried. Good luck.

There's no power on the pins without the EVSE plugged in. I'd just wipe it off with kitchen towel and then if it still looks wet down the pins use some cotton swabs. Then you should be good to plug it in.

The whole point of the EVSE is to make the connection as safe as possible. It has to have current monitoring for GFCI on the power pins and if anything is not perfect then it has to disconnect the power. Even if it was all wet and shorted out you would be perfectly safe, it would just error out and refuse to charge.

Thanks I used cotton swabs and paper towels and that worked fine. Charged no problem. I thought I had damaged something but glad to know it was just water that needed to be removed!

Back