Real life range driving with AC on

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mknight

Hi everybody,

In February I got my Soul EV 2016 and I love it.

I live in the San Fernado Valley in the Los Angeles area and in the summer months we often get day time temperature in 90s, 100, and once in a while even 107-115f.

I was wondering how will driving in these temps with the AC on (all the time) say set to about 75f will affect the total driving range?

Anybody driving it in similar conditions that can shed some light on REAL range with AC on all the time. I mostly drive solo, so Driver mode is fine and I will pre-cool the car plugged in.

Does the A/C cooling while plugged work on both the supplied 110v charging cable and the Level 2, 220v charging?

Thanks so much.

For the worst case summer heat scenario check out this data from Phoenix Arizona. - https://avt.inl.gov/vehicle-button/2015-kia-soul
Their cumulative average electricity consumption is 309.7 AC Wh/mile, suggesting they get an average real life range of 87 miles.
But in the Phoenix summer the electricity consumption rose to 376 AC Wh/mile, showing they got a summer range of 72 miles.

(Converting from electricity consumption to a range in miles can only be done when we know the SOH or usable energy capacity of the battery. After the first year we won't.
The seasonal range last year in Phoenix: spring 102 miles, summer 72 miles, fall 83 miles. )

I used to think that having the EV testing center in Phoenix Arizona was a bad idea because it gives the worst possible results. Looking at the above data however I realise that it is good to have worst case scenario data.

Back