SF Bay Area Lease deals

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

I'm hoping that people can list their lease deals, or proposals they have received from dealers located in the SF Bay Area. I'm looking at possibly leasing the Soul EV base model and it would be great to see how we can help each other out by comparing lease deals.

Thanks in advance!
Ray

Hi Ray,

In Downtown LA dealerships are selling right at the recommended Kia rate of $249/mo for 36 months, with $1,999 due at signing. 0.9% APR

I was under the impression there aren't enough Soul EVs around yet so demand is keeping the lease price right where it started...

I did find these lease details for Bay Area Kia dealers:
$289 a Month / 48 Month Lease $2,009 Due at Lease Signing For Qualified Lessees. Soul EV not available at all dealers. Quantities limited.
Soul EV + 109HP EM A/T
11/04/2014 - 12/01/2014

$279 a Month / 36 Month Lease $1,999 Due at Lease Signing For Qualified Lessees. Soul EV not available at all dealers. Quantities limited.
Soul EV + 109HP EM A/T
11/04/2014 - 12/01/2014

$259 a Month / 48 Month Lease $2,009 Due at Lease Signing For Qualified Lessees. Soul EV not available at all dealers. Quantities limited.
Soul EV Base 109HP EM A/T
11/04/2014 - 12/01/2014

$249 a Month / 36 Month Lease $1,999 Due at Lease Signing For Qualified Lessees. Soul EV not available at all dealers. Quantities limited
Soul EV Base 109HP EM A/T
11/04/2014 - 12/01/2014

at this site: http://bayarea.kiadealers.com/page/special-offers/-San-Francisco-CA-Kia-Dealer?offers=type&type=7

We've never leased a car before, but are considering one here, mainly due to the uncertainty with EV. Can someone explain how the federal tax credit and the California rebates work for a lease? Does the dealership in effect file for the federal tax credit, and passes that "savings" on to the buyer through the lease deal? Would I still be eligible for the CA rebate (which would offset the down payment, right)?

Also, a friend mentioned some program in California for a free charger when buying an EV at certain times of the month. Does anyone have any more information/experience?

Thanks!

Just picked up a lease at Capitol Kia in San Jose. The buyer - Kia/Hyundai lease company - gets the fed credit and passes to you for a good lease deal. The 2,500 CA rebate goes to you - the lessee - as long as it is a 36 month lease.

Here is what I would do to calculate lease if I was to do it all over again:

Get wholesale price/invoice of the Soul. Add 4% profit for the dealership (negotiable item).
Deduct 7,500 federal stimulus.
Deduct 1,500 Kia stimulus.
Deduct money you put down (cash, trade-in and so on).
Deduct residual value of the Soul at the end of the lease (dealer/leasing company determined).
The resulting number is what bank is financing. Add 6% to it.
Divide the number by 36 (months of leasing the Soul).
Add your local tax.
Voila! Your lease dollar amount number.

The experience at Capitol was really great with the sales guy but really rough with the rest of the operation - it was very slow and took 5 hours to do the deal including trade in. That said, they are offering a pretty good lease deal (best i got in writing from a dealer), so the little pain was worth it in the long run.

ss0012 said:
The experience at Capitol was really great with the sales guy but really rough with the rest of the operation - it was very slow and took 5 hours to do the deal including trade in. That said, they are offering a pretty good lease deal (best i got in writing from a dealer), so the little pain was worth it in the long run.

Was the lease deal better than the one Kia is advertising on its national website ($1999 down and $249/$279 for Base/+ for 36 months)? If so, do you mind sharing?

I got a + and they quoted me 2500 down and a 36 month lease of 250+ tax, so it is better than the national deal since I don't think the 279 monthly includes tax and 500 down will generally change your payment by 15 bucks. I was able to get the monthly down with my trade in (a low mileage 2012 optima).

I just leased a base model Soul yesterday. I e-mailed all 6 Bay Area Kia dealers that have the Soul EV. All but one got back to me, and we ended up going to Capitol Kia in San Jose because they were the most responsive and one of only 2 dealers that had a base model in stock. We ended up paying $249/mo plus tax (i.e., $271/mo) plus $2000 down, with no tax or title or any other fees on top of the $2k down. It also came with carpeted floor mats and a rubber mat in the back, which are worth about $200. This was better than the quotes from the other place w/ a base model, which quoted $249/mo + tax and almost $3500 down (i.e., $2000 + tax, title, doc fee, registration, acquisition fee, etc).

We also considered a + model. The best offer we got on that was $267/mo + tax and $2300 down (that's total money down, with no fees, tax, etc on top of it).

The Kia dealer/lease company keeps the federal credit, and now we'll apply for the $2500 from California.

The folks at Capitol were very responsive and generally informative and friendly. We definitely got the runaround on costs/fees, though. Three people gave us three different quotes for the "disposition fee" - i.e., the fee you have to pay at the end of the lease if you don't buy it. And as someone else here said, it took an inordinate amount of time. We were there for 5 1/2 hours!

I definitely recommend doing as much of your negotiating by e-mail or phone first, and getting any quotes in writing before you go in. It'll cut down on stress. I had to show the e-mails I'd had with the internet sales manager to them in order for them to believe me that I'd been offered specific deals.

Other costs are negotiable too. They offered us "excess wear and tear insurance" that would cover the cost for what they deem excess wear at the end of the lease. This is moot if you end up buying the car, but if you don't they're going to check everything and may charge you $600 to replace the tires if the tire tread is low, which is likely. Or they'll charge you for seat stains, rips, etc. The first person quoted us $900 and we refused. But the guy doing our lease paperwork ended up giving it to us for $600 and we took it for peace of mind.

Seriously? You have to pay a FEE at the END of the lease ?

I didn't know that (another reason why I wouldn't lease, but that is my opinion).

So after all the money you put down (fees etc), plus what you pay for the entire lease, PLUS the end of least Fee .... wHAT IS THE TOTAL SPENT ?

just curious

I agree with the comments about Capital Kia. I worked out a great lease deal over the phone and the sales guy was extremely responsive. I was planning to trade in my car and was assured that they would offer a good trade-in value based on condition. However, when I got there, they tried low balling me on the trade-in (for a 2013 Prius C Four). Their initial offer was beyond insulting and even when they raised the offer by 2K, it was still way too low! After spending a few hours there, I refused the offer and left feeling irritated by the whole process.

One week later I called Dublin Kia. What a different experience! I spoke with the sales guy who offered me the same great lease option and then connected me with the sales manager whom agreed to 1K more (than Capital Kia offered) for my trade-in right over the phone (with the caveat that it was in the stated condition). I filled out the application online, sent copies of everything they needed and drove over the following morning to pick-up my car. When I arrived, they had just sold the last white plus I had agreed to buy. Needless to say, I was a little upset because I thought everything had been worked out the previous evening and that the car would be waiting for me on arrival. The head guy came over to apologize and explained that until they have the contract, they can't hold a vehicle, HOWEVER, he wanted the sale along with a satisfied customer, so to make things right, he offered me the Blue Plus that had a bunch of extra options (that the white plus didn't have) for the same price AND gave me an additional $500 for my trade-in! Needless to say, I was extremely happy with the deal and my new blue Kia Soul EV+!

Bottom line--Dublin Kia offered great service, a fantastic deal, and none of the BS of Capital Kia :D

SparkySoul said:
One week later I called Dublin Kia. What a different experience! I spoke with the sales guy who offered me the same great lease option and then connected me with the sales manager whom agreed to 1K more (than Capital Kia offered) for my trade-in right over the phone (with the caveat that it was in the stated condition). I filled out the application online, sent copies of everything they needed and drove over the following morning to pick-up my car. When I arrived, they had just sold the last white plus I had agreed to buy. Needless to say, I was a little upset because I thought everything had been worked out the previous evening and that the car would be waiting for me on arrival. The head guy came over to apologize and explained that until they have the contract, they can't hold a vehicle, HOWEVER, he wanted the sale along with a satisfied customer, so to make things right, he offered me the Blue Plus that had a bunch of extra options (that the white plus didn't have) for the same price AND gave me an additional $500 for my trade-in! Needless to say, I was extremely happy with the deal and my new blue Kia Soul EV+!

Bottom line--Dublin Kia offered great service, a fantastic deal, and none of the BS of Capital Kia :D

Could you please share the details of the lease or purchase. I live very close to Dublin Kia and am looking to lease or purchase a Soul EV.

I just bought my black/red kia soul ev + in orange county. I returned my 2013 kia optima (5 months early). They gave me about 2000 in equity for the down, and my monthly payment is 250 including tax (9%). I believe you can definitely beat the national ad. l love it.

@jmarie5000 - I'm shopping in SJC right now and finding the connection between the questions I am asking and the responses to be exasperating. So far, Stevens Creek and Capitol have a strike... I am asking very specific questions - best sales price, residual and MF for 30 and 36 mo 12k leases. I have had to repeat my request after each communication, and that gets me mildly annoyed - heh. I'll add that inventory is very limited unless you want black, so undoubtedly they are in no rush to sell it appears. I am using True Car and am leveraging (or trying to) Irvine Kia deals... we'll see how that turns out.

We'll see how tomorrow goes... I'll be sending out to SoCal tomorrow - nothing like a nice road trip to get a car...

Good Luck
Z

Thanks @Zony yeah, it looks like I will have to purchase before the end of the month in order to get to work on time. I don't currently have a car so I'm not sure how I'd be able to get down to southern California without flying... perhaps if the pricing is that good, it might be worth it? Do share what you're able to find. I had considered buying in Atlanta, but the prices quoted were bananas, and with the job offer I've just been made I'll need the car in CA first so I suppose I will just have to deal with shipping it back to Atlanta as opposed to buying in Atlanta and then shipping to CA and then shipping back to Atlanta.I see that Irvine Kia has the EV+ for $179 again but did notice it says + tax.... any ideas on how much the tax will run additionally? Would be good to try and compare against SJC pricing which "includes all tax"

Back