SiriusXM: worth keeping?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiastormtrooper

I received a flyer from siriusxm saying my trial membership is ending soon. I assume this is just for the radio, but I read in another thread that other features, like charger locations, are supported by sirius, but are active for 5 years.

Have any of you folks let the trial membership end, and, if so, were there any noticeable changes?

Our trial is ending in a week or so. My wife has been getting calls trying to convince her to renew at a discount for 6 months rather than the 5-month discount the letter had. The calls are really annoying. She is not likely to renew so we'll find out what features are lost and I'll report back if no one else has before then.

I had Sirius XM in my old Accord for 6 years, and enjoyed it very much. It's also nice when driving distances to not have to keep trying to find new stations when you get out of FM or AM radio range, because except in a few mountainous locations I never lost the XM signal.

It works poorly for me in Vancouver. When it's cloudy, or near any kind of tall building, or under a bridge, the signal cuts out so easily. I just want their traffic data really, too bad they don't offer it as a standalone service.

Early on, I knew I didn't need XM -- I laughed when there was an option to search for nearby gas stations -- but since the system seems to be tied into other features of the car, I don't want to find out some useful functionality is gone because I let the trial period (and special offers) expire.

Update: Fortunately, other than the Sirius XM tab now going into demo mode, I haven't noticed any changes to my UVO setup; it went away quietly. Whew!

kiastormtrooper said:
Update: Fortunately, other than the Sirius XM tab now going into demo mode, I haven't noticed any changes to my UVO setup; it went away quietly. Whew!
Thanks for that. I had concerns as well; we have little use for Sirius, as I have 600 albums on a 32GB flash drive, and our lease will long be up before I get halfway through...

Update #2: I don't know if it's related (or how it's related), but the traffic overlay on the nav map doesn't appear anymore, saying that I have to contact Sirius to activate.

I use Google Maps to navigate usually, so I didn't notice the change until recently.

I still see things like construction indicators showing up. Maybe this is from before the trial expired because the construction has been going on that long.

Back