SoCal Dealers and Selling over MSRP

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked up my new Soul EV + (black/red) from Kia of Irvine. I think I got a really good deal as my total due at signing was $2,500 and my monthly payment, including taxes, was $281. I worked with one of the internet managers and actually negotiated the whole deal via their online chat. It was a great experience.

EDIT: I used the TrueCar average sale price of $34,396 as my target and they honored that, with the $1,500 lease cash and the $7,500 Federal tax credit. $595 acquisition fee.

I also just purchased the Juicebox EVSE which is on sale through today for $479 + tax with free shipping. That includes a 20 foot J1772.

grayhawk said:
Just picked up my new Soul EV + (black/red) from Kia of Irvine.
You can only hope Kia will stand by it's battery 3 years, 50,000 miles down the road when your range drops by 10-15% or more... Particularly, accommodating a battery upgrade for a 1st gen 2015 vehicle. Resale value of EVs sucks, and if you can't upgrade for a better battery you are stuck.

I lease EVs now exclusively after having learned my lessons from Leaf ownership and the fact that Moore's law seem to extend to EVs as well.

iletric said:
grayhawk said:
You can only hope Kia will stand by it's battery 3 years, 50,000 miles down the road when your range drops by 10-15% or more... Particularly, accommodating a battery upgrade for a 1st gen 2015 vehicle. Resale value of EVs sucks, and if you can't upgrade for a better battery you are stuck.

I lease EVs now exclusively after having learned my lessons from Leaf ownership and the fact that Moore's law seem to extend to EVs as well.

I just sold my 2011 Leaf for $16,000 (more than I owed!) which seems like a pretty good deal for me given my original purchase price. Lost one bar in three years. :)

iletric said:
grayhawk said:

That's why I leased. Battery degradation and EV improvements over the next three years could make this car somewhat obsolete. I think I will love it while I have it though.

grayhawk said:
Just picked up my new Soul EV + (black/red) from Kia of Irvine. I think I got a really good deal as my total due at signing was $2,500 and my monthly payment, including taxes, was $281. I worked with one of the internet managers and actually negotiated the whole deal via their online chat. It was a great experience.

$2500, out the door, and $281 including tax, for a +? That's remarkable.

If you back out the acquisition fee, taxes, and other fees, that must be about $1500 down, and about $250 a month.

If you don't mind answering, what were the actual terms of your lease?

Yeah I think Grayhawk just set the standard for best offer. Anyone looking to lease should quote that offer...or just go to Irvine. :)

bfranci said:
Yeah I think Grayhawk just set the standard for best offer. Anyone looking to lease should quote that offer...or just go to Irvine. :)

Which is hilarious, because when the Soul EV first showed up back in Oct., Irvine quoted me $3000 down, and $375 a month!

Avitt said:
grayhawk said:

If you back out the acquisition fee, taxes, and other fees, that must be about $1500 down, and about $250 a month.

$25,018.88 Cap cost = $34,396 Vehicle Cost + $595 Acquisition Fee - $1,500 lease cash - $7,500 Fed tax credit - $ 972.12 down payment

$2,500 Total due = $972.12 down + $281.96 (first month) + $324 Registration fee + $8.75 Tire fee + $80 Doc fee + $29 MVSC? + $797.77 Cap Reduction Tax + $6.40 Tax on Doc Fee.

Money Factor was .00035. Residual was $16,139.

Glad to hear that I was able to strike a good deal.

grayhawk said:
Avitt said:
grayhawk said:

$25,018.88 Cap cost = $34,396 Vehicle Cost + $595 Acquisition Fee - $1,500 lease cash - $7,500 Fed tax credit - $ 972.12 down payment

$2,500 Total due = $972.12 down + $281.96 (first month) + $324 Registration fee + $8.75 Tire fee + $80 Doc fee + $29 MVSC? + $797.77 Cap Reduction Tax + $6.40 Tax on Doc Fee.

Thanks! That's just awesome. Nice job! And you'll get the $2500 back from the state rebate.

grayhawk said:

WOW I'm glad someone actually gets it and spelled out the entire lease calculations without people having to ask for it. This is the information everyone needs to help eachother get down to the nuts and bolt to understand what a good deal is made of.

BTW, what was the MSRP?

bfranci said:
I thought he bought, not leased. I that case the quote does not say if it's Soul + and if it's 12,000 miles or 15,000 per year lease, both of which bring up the payments to over 300 bucks.

richdean said:
I just sold my 2011 Leaf for $16,000 (more than I owed!) which seems like a pretty good deal for me given my original purchase price. Lost one bar in three years.
You are very lucky to get this price. Most of 2011 owners selling were nowhere near that. Was it private party?

I unloaded my 2011 for what I might have gotten private party with 2 bars down, for 11,500 at the Kia dealer. They offered me 9,000. Told them no deal, and that I would have sell the car myself before I get into their Kia. Something they did not want to hear, so they caved in to my price. Came away with 1,500 bucks (still owed 10,000 at the time). The funniest thing was, they took the Leaf in as trade sight unseen and trusted my word as to its condition. Did not even ask about bar loss!

iletric said:
bfranci said:
I thought he bought, not leased. I that case the quote does not say if it's Soul + and if it's 12,000 miles or 15,000 per year lease, both of which bring up the payments to over 300 bucks.

It's a + and a 12,000 mile per year lease.

grayhawk said:
Avitt said:
grayhawk said:

Congrats on a nice deal. Out of curiosity, is there also a dispo fee when you return the lease (and/or any other fees)? This is our first lease and I just want to understand all the terms and conditions and see how truthful my dealer was being with me.

dondon said:
Congrats on a nice deal. Out of curiosity, is there also a dispo fee when you return the lease (and/or any other fees)? This is our first lease and I just want to understand all the terms and conditions and see how truthful my dealer was being with me.

Yes, there is a $400 fee when I turn in the car unless I lease another car at that time. There is also an early termination fee - can't remember how much that is but I plan to keep it for all 36 months.

iletric said:
richdean said:
I just sold my 2011 Leaf for $16,000 (more than I owed!) which seems like a pretty good deal for me given my original purchase price. Lost one bar in three years.
You are very lucky to get this price. Most of 2011 owners selling were nowhere near that. Was it private party?

I unloaded my 2011 for what I might have gotten private party with 2 bars down, for 11,500 at the Kia dealer. They offered me 9,000. Told them no deal, and that I would have sell the car myself before I get into their Kia. Something they did not want to hear, so they caved in to my price. Came away with 1,500 bucks (still owed 10,000 at the time). The funniest thing was, they took the Leaf in as trade sight unseen and trusted my word as to its condition. Did not even ask about bar loss!

Yes, private party. KBB has the car at around $13,500, which I would have also been happy with. :)

Back