Speaker Upgrade

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassCadet

My daughter noticed that the sound in the eGolf is a lot better than the Soul EV. In part, it is probably the sound dampening in German cars, but I thought it also might be the speakers. At first I thought about getting components and looked at separate tweeters and midrange/woofers for the front, but then decided to go basic and low budget and found a four pack of Kickers DSC650 for a little over $100. I also got some butyl sound deadener.

Removing the door panel is not too bad. I did one door at a time. I then removed the old speaker mount, cut out a roughly 6.5" hole in the mount (around the old speaker), screwed in the new speaker, and then put in the new speaker assembly crimping the speaker leads to the old wires. I did it this way because I couldn't find a good way to mount the new speaker directly to the door.

After replacing the speaker, I put the sound deadener on the inside of the door panel and then reinstalled the panel. After doing the first door, the others went a lot faster. I did not spend much time on the sound deadener, mostly just cutting a few sheets and putting it around the door lock.

The sound is much improved and the doors feel more solid since the sound deadener adds weight. It was definitely worth the time and cost. Buying better speakers and being more meticulous applying the sound deadener might be worthwhile for those who spend a lot of time in their car, but this is already a big improvement.

Back