Specifying Charge Level in UVO or in Vehicle?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgpretzel

2017 Soul EV+ w/Sun 'n Fun
Juneau Alaska

My wife and I just took delivery of a 2017 Soul EV+. I am beginning the familiarization process, particularly with the software-- both in the vehicle and supplemental (UVO eco).

I have also started reading many of the posts in this forum. There is much helpful information here, and, it would appear, many very informed owners.

One of the things I have seen discussed both here and elsewhere is the advisability of charging only to 80%. I figured it couldn't hurt to adopt this practice, except when I specifically need to charge to 100%.

The only problem is I can't figure out how to do this. The only option that I see, either in the vehicle, or via UVO Eco app, is to charge to 100%. There is no 80% option. So, how do you folks that limit charge to 80% actually do this?

Thank you.

Regards,

DG

It's when setting the charging schedule, you can set it to charge to 80% or 100%. If you are not charging on a schedule timer then it will always charge to 100%.

Thank you. That's what it sounded like (from other posts). However, I do use scheduled charging (to take advantage of the late night $.06/KwH rate). There is only one option (100%) either from UVO Eco, or when setting the schedule from the vehicle, itself. I'm just wondering what I have to do to get the 80% option.

Thank you.

DG

-
Hi dgpretzel, welcome to the forum. You're the first I've noticed from Alaska.

I assume you have a Model Year 2017 car. Kia removed the 80% option in that update.
They removed it to improve the EPA figures, not because charging to 100% has been shown to be safer.
I would always recommend charging to 80% when you don't need that extra range. Especially in hot weather.
And most especially not leaving the car at 100% for long periods in hot weather.

According to the manual standard charging is now to 100% only. The 80% option has been removed.

4ut9hi.jpg

You should have this as an alternative to 100%. It allows you to set when peak charges occur. You will need to work out how many hours your car takes to charge to 80% based on your daily commute, and then set this time range.

2roj8tx.jpg

Using UVO you will need to start the charge a few hours before you leave, so that it is charged to about 80% when you go out to the car in the morning and you manually turn it off.

I don't have a MY2017. I have never tested charging on that car. It would be great if you posted some screenshots on how this actually works on your car.

Thank you, JeJuSoul, for the explanation.

Too bad they removed functionality. I would have like to see them expand the feature. Like a slider, dial, or even text entry, of the percentage charge desired.

The UOV Eco app is useful, but it seems a little limited. For example, one must enter password EVERY time it is used. One cannot start up cabin heating during the curtain calls of a play (so as to enter a warm car when leaving the theater). One is not presented with information , such as current rate of charging (Kw), or aggregate energy (KwH). Etc. It is amazingly slow. And it hasn't been updated in quite some time.

Of course, better than nothing.

I'll just get it roughly set to 80% by figuring I charge at about 6KwH per hour, and set start and end times appropriately.

I'll see if I can get a screen shot. Guess I can just use my phone to shoot a pic of the screen in the car.

Regards,

DG

P.S. There aren't any Kia dealers in Juneau, and, so far as I know, the Soul EV is not sold in AK. We leased our Soul EV from a Seattle area dealer (Lee Johnson Auto) and shipped it up on the Alaska Ferry. Electric cars are really taking off in Juneau (limited road system, 100% hydro power, and local electric utility that lets EV owners charge at 50% discount are factors, I think.) Interesting, although Nissan Leafs are very popular, there isn't a Nissan dealer in Juneau, either. Everyone gets them in Seattle and ships them up.

dgpretzel said:
The UOV Eco app is useful, but it seems a little limited. For example, one must enter password EVERY time it is used.

If you have an iPhone you can configure the UVO app to use TouchID for the password so that you just use your fingerprint to authenticate. Much faster than typing in a password in my experience.

Its also mind-numbingly slow to update the current charge status. And, for whatever reason, doesn't do it automatically when you open the app.

Back