Trouble charging with 220 volt

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ephodges

Has anyone had a problem charging their Soul EV? I plugged in a 220 volt charger last night and it never charged. I noticed the blue lights come on and everything. I'm thinking it might be a defective 220 charger and hopefully not a serious problem with the car itself.

My OBC (= On Board Charger) was replaced a few years ago. Supposedly I was the first one in my country and later on it turned out to be a notorious problem with the Soul EV. It's probably covered under warranty when you're not over the time or distance driven limits.

Things you can try to rule out other issues:
  • use a quick charger to see if that'll charge the battery. If that works you know for sure the BMS and battery are still working OK.
  • Try another slow charger to rule out a problem with that specific charger (preferably one you know worked in the past)
  • Try another charging cable

It's not that uncommon for the level 2 charger to simply not work. Definitely try another somewhere else.

No. I have got into the car whilst it was charging to get things out of it, and the charge was not interrupted.

The only interaction between charging and locking is that you cannot remove the charging connector from the car's socket if the car is locked.

That's good to know. I was going to take it to the Kia Service Dept here in Savannah but the earliest appointment would be after February 2024. I know crazy

IanL said:
The only interaction between charging and locking is that you cannot remove the charging connector from the car's socket if the car is locked.
That depends on the socket in the car. Locking works only on the European / Mennekes / Type 2 style sockets. The American / J1772 / Type 1 sockets don't lock. Those might be locked with an external padlock so the latch can't be opened.

It's model year dependent. My 2016 has a pin above the J1772 that is driven out when the car is locked, and that stops the latch from being undone. It's still not very secure because you can easily push the pin back in if you have something like a pencil handy.

notfred said:
It's model year dependent. My 2016 has a pin above the J1772 that is driven out when the car is locked, and that stops the latch from being undone.
Nice! I didn't know J1172's could be locked by the car too.

My car, despite being a European (actually UK) model, has a Type 1 socket which does lock, just as the manual says it should. Moreover, the US manual for the 2017 model also says that if the door is locked, the connector should not be inserted, I assume they mean car door(s), as the connector door clearly has to be open to insert the connector. It also says that theft of the charging connector may be prevented by locking the door with the smart key or the central locking switch, and to unlock the car door to release the connector after charging.

IanL said:
My car, despite being a European (actually UK) model, has a Type 1 socket which does lock, just as the manual says it should.
My car is also European with a J1772 but from 2014. I don't have the manual handy, but I know for sure that the connector isn't locked by my car when the car doors are locked.

I suppose there is some logic in NOT being able to lock the connector. Say the car caught fire when being recharged at a public charger with a captive connecting cable. The Fire Brigade would want to isolate the car electrically before using the hoses.

I also have a two year old electric FIAT 500, and it has a Type 2 connector which cannot be locked.

Back