Trouble Getting Reduction Gear/Gearbox

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff

My 2016 Soul EV+ started leaking fluid and the reduction gear became almost non-functional. It's still under warranty. The dealer has been trying to get the part for over 6 months. Anyone else having such a hard time getting a gearbox?

Mine went out earlier this year. Dealers all quoted me $15K+ to do the job. I searched online and on the phone throughout Canada and US for a gearbox at a wrecker, but they had all been sold already, so I guess this is a common problem with these 1st gen Soul EVs.

I ended up buying one online from a dealer in the US at a "reasonable" price and having a local transmission shop do the install. Saved over $10K doing it this way.

Anyway, I'm guessing because this is a common problem they probably used the inventory up. Seems like KIA corporate should be able to give you a timeline or some other solution to your claim. I'd escalate.

UPDATE: After over 7 months of waiting, Kia finally sent a new gearbox to my local dealer. They installed it, and all seems well - at least for the last 2 days. They also performed a recall update, including a BMS update. Unfortunately, they significantly slowed down the charge rate, meaning it now takes much long to charge the vehicle. What else did the update do? Well, it miraculously gave my battery more range (according to the indicator) than it had when it was new! Obviously, an impossibility. Also, the battery pack's SOH, which was at 70% 7 months ago, increased significantly - so it no longer qualifies for replacement. Again, impossible. We'll see what happens.

.... What else did the update do? Well, it miraculously gave my battery more range (according to the indicator) than it had when it was new! Obviously, an impossibility. Also, the battery pack's SOH, which was at 70% 7 months ago, increased significantly - so it no longer qualifies for replacement. Again, impossible. We'll see what happens.
The update has apparently resulted in the BMS being reset. Until it has been through several (maybe 5 or 6?) cycles, the values it provides (GOM and SOH) are heavily weighted by the default values, i.e. they do not reflect reality.

Back