notfred

Re: Soul EV Spy Questions and Answers

Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:49 pm

The battery temperature also has to be above 10C as well as charging from below 20% to 100% in one continuous charge for the BMS to recalibrate.

IanL

Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:21 am

See https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10143399-9999.pdf Top of Page 2.

Multiple cycles <20% to >90%.

Having done that, I suggest you print it and show it to them if they argue.

The KIA procedure for reading the SOH is at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10133173-9999.pdf

It sounds like the dealer did not apply the instruction to record the SOH data before applying the update. If he says he did, then ask him to show it to you.

mgilpatric

Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:30 pm

Thank you for the information. It has been cold since the update so that could explain the issue. I'll ask the dealer if they did the SOH before updating. Great info!

NorSoul

Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:43 pm

mgilpatric wrote:Thank you for the information. It has been cold since the update so that could explain the issue. I'll ask the dealer if they did the SOH before updating. Great info!

The newest BMS update is necessary for Kia to approve battery replacement, my dealer applied for a battery replacement last year but Kia told them to update the BMS first. Obviously the SOH was above 70% after the update, so Kia didn’t approve the application.

So please don’t blame your dealer, this is apparently Kia policy now.

IanL

Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:07 am

NorSoul wrote:The newest BMS update is necessary for Kia to approve battery replacement, my dealer applied for a battery replacement last year but Kia told them to update the BMS first. Obviously the SOH was above 70% after the update, so Kia didn’t approve the application.

So please don’t blame your dealer, this is apparently Kia policy now.

So the instruction on Page 1 for the dealer to submit a "customer concern" warranty claim is just for the dealer to be reimbursed for performing the update and to gather data about SOH, and to delay the point of replacing the battery by the time taken to do the multiple recharges.

As the stated effect of the update has no bearing on the durability of the battery, and only on erroneous behaviour after performing reserved charging, that strikes me as profoundly cynical and dishonest. I could be wrong....

I would advise anyone in this situation to maintain records of the multiple recharges, with photographs of the before and after SOCs and the ambient temperature on the console, so that they can't argue that the recharges were not performed as specified.

JRBWallace

Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:41 am

I have a couple of suggested Soul EV enhancements that I think Soul EV Spy could address. (I apologize if any of these are already in the application, I am new to this app.)
1. Reprogram the trunk button on the keyfobs to open the charge door: The only way to open the charge door is the button on the dash. This requires opening the door, if you are outside the car. Many EVs include a button on the keyfob to open the charge door. My keyfobs include a nearly useless button to open the trunk, since the trunk auto-opens when you have the key near and just open it.
2. Add a control to disable the J1772 connector lock. When plugged in to charge, the connector locks when the doors are locked. This may be useful in the USA if you plug in using a portable 120VAC cord, like the one Kia provides with the car. This feature is intended for those countries (not USA) where EV chargers require the user to bring their own cord, and that cord could be stolen if not secured. In the USA, all installed chargers include an attached cord, so there is no risk of it being stolen. There may be instances in the USA where a user might want to lock the connector to avoid someone unplugging your car while you are away. Most places where I charge, I would happily allow another user to take the cord if they need it, and they see that my car is done charging.

Please respond if you agree that these could be useful additions to Soul EV Spy, and could possibly help find the codes to enable them.

Return to “Technical Discussions”