EVDee

Re: Kia Navigation Updater is available in US and Canada

Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:16 pm

EVDee wrote:
notfred wrote:
EVDee wrote:While all of this is nice, I'm actually just hoping this update fixes the issue I had in the winter where my car would randomly fail to pre-heat in the morning. It seems like this was a known issue with a certain version of software and would affect both pre-conditioning and charge timers.

There was also a BMS firmware update to fix pre-heating in extremely cold conditions (below -20C I think), that may help if you are having issues.

Hmm, well I got both now I guess.
I'm in the process of a battery warranty claim and they "updated" my BMS as part of the process.
Yet when I asked them to update it prior to the warranty claim, no such thing existed.. :roll:

Well, that didn't fix the issue. This morning the car failed to preheat according to schedule.
The only thing I can think of now is putting my 12V battery on a battery conditioner and see if that solves the issue.

SoulMan

Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:34 pm

I got an email notifying me of the update and jumped on it.

Wasn't just a map refresh - but whole menu system.

For my 2020 Soul EV, I just needed a 32GB USB memory stick. One handy feature on (the 2020 Soul) is it shows and verbally announces Traffic Cameras ahead (at least for my city).

I used the same Kia updater program to upgrade the menu/map for my gas-powered 2016 Soul. For that, I needed a new 32GB SD card (the car came with only 16GB). I don't usually drive this car, but I didn't really notice much difference before/after for this year/make.

SoulMan

Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:50 pm

Yet another map/menu update just release.

So far just updated my 2020 EV.

The last update was fantastic and a simple process.

Not this time. Program to download/upload the map, then decompress re-write it, was incredibly slow. Hundreds or errors, which I had to get it to restart one by one - could use a "Yes to All" feature. I had the same problem on two computers / internet connections.

In the car, the update also took a long time - update ran, then update started all over again. Almost 2 hours.

The User Interface is much different - and not better.

Home screen is no longer split into three - just two clickable sections with minimal display. Shows much less info. Limited ability to configure it.

The new UI has named users - not particularly useful.

Can't easily see my remaining battery percentage now unless I drill into menus.

Everything is lame Purple color.

The announcement for Traffic cameras is less audible - and has no visual component unless you have the map screen up.

Positive is the traffic camera does have a distance countdown to show you approaching it - do not think it did before.

You can not optionally have the backup camera display for a brief period after reversing, but this display shuts itself off once you get to about 10 km/h forward - so almost useless.

All an all, a dog. Looking for ways to downgrade now.

MassDeduction

Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:02 pm

SoulMan wrote:[...]All an all, a dog. Looking for ways to downgrade now.

I saw this update on the Kia/Hyundai (formerly Brantford Kia) channel on YouTube, and have been planning to avoid upgrading to it ever since, for the reasons you cited! Hopefully you've been able to downgrade.

Return to “General / Main Kia Soul EV Owners Forum”