80% or 100% charge scheduling not starting when programmed. 2016 Soul EV+

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lithium

For several months since getting my new Battery in my 2016 Soul EV +, my charge scheduling behaves randomly. Most annoyingly not kicking off a charge session at scheduled times.
Yesterday afternoon, after getting my car back from a recall BMS replacement, I set everyday to 80% and start charging at 3am. I was at 55 mi and this morning, nope, nothing added. Should have charged to 80-85mi.
Anyone experience this and figure out what's going on?

First thing to check is the timer override button. What happens when you push it in.
The car should start charging immediately to 100%.
If it does then we know both the charger and the OBC are working.
Secondly check the timer settings. Make sure all 7 days are checked.

For several months since getting my new Battery in my 2016 Soul EV +, my charge scheduling behaves randomly. Most annoyingly not kicking off a charge session at scheduled times.
Yesterday afternoon, after getting my car back from a recall BMS replacement, I set everyday to 80% and start charging at 3am. I was at 55 mi and this morning, nope, nothing added. Should have charged to 80-85mi.
Anyone experience this and figure out what's going on?
I can't help with fixing the problem, sorry - but I am curious about being able to set a target % for charging; on our '17, that disappeared a couple of years ago (at the same time the head unit was replaced under warranty) and I understood from various sources that Kia had decided to delete the capability.

I can't help with fixing the problem, sorry - but I am curious about being able to set a target % for charging; on our '17, that disappeared a couple of years ago (at the same time the head unit was replaced under warranty) and I understood from various sources that Kia had decided to delete the capability.
Since that option is gone (my '17 has never had that option), the only option is to do math.
Figure out how many percentage your home charger can add in say 10 minutes, then calculate how many 10 min periods you need get the SOC to 75% and set the timed charge to that end period

say your charger can add 3.75% in 10 minutes
if I arrive at home with 28% SOC and I want to get to 75%
75-28 = 47
47/3.75 = 12.5
so I need at add 12.5 10 minute periods which is 125 minutes or roughly 2 hours
so I need to set the charge timer to end 2 hours after I start timer is set for

When i get my new battery, I plan on making a chart so I can look at my SOC and be shown what time I need to stop charging and then have to type that number in

massive PITA that could have been avoided if KIA didn't remove that option

It was not KIA's fault! The EPA made a rule that, if the car has an 80% setting, the EPA approved range had to be decreased. Since that would have hit sales, KIA took away the 80% setting. The frustrating thing is that the EPA has since done away with that rule, but KIA has not reinstated the setting.

I had similar problem after installed new battery - for example: charge time was scheduled for 9 pm, KIA start charging at 9 (sometimes KIA skip it) and stop charging in 20-30 min without any reason. So I installed two times for charging - 9 and 9-40 - if it skip at 9 or stop charging, it start at 9-40. Also I installed camera to check status of charging from my phone.

It was not KIA's fault! The EPA made a rule that, if the car has an 80% setting, the EPA approved range had to be decreased. Since that would have hit sales, KIA took away the 80% setting. The frustrating thing is that the EPA has since done away with that rule, but KIA has not reinstated the setting.
So presumably all manufacturers changed their charging rules to match the EPA? How many of those manufacturers still have 80% charging disabled?
This is on Kia for not reinstating - if charging to 100% is detrimental to the battery, they are complicit in the battery's degradation.

First thing to check is the timer override button. What happens when you push it in.
The car should start charging immediately to 100%.
If it does then we know both the charger and the OBC are working.
Secondly check the timer settings. Make sure all 7 days are checked.
did all that. Charges to 100% fine. It seems to be something related to storing the change. the "timer off/delay" button on left side seems to confuse the app in the dash... It's perhaps taking too long to register the change before you turn off the car... I will mess with it more.

2016 has 7 days a week and options to split that across 80% or 100%. You have to set a charging time. for instance, you can't just tell it to charge to 80% as soon as you plug it in. You have to associate a charge start time for either 80% or 100%.

I had similar problem after installed new battery - for example: charge time was scheduled for 9 pm, KIA start charging at 9 (sometimes KIA skip it) and stop charging in 20-30 min without any reason. So I installed two times for charging - 9 and 9-40 - if it skip at 9 or stop charging, it start at 9-40. Also I installed camera to check status of charging from my phone.
oh... I'm also getting incidents of it stopping charging after being plugged in. I see blue 3 segment LED shows charging, leave and find out it didn't gain a mile. I hear the clunk of the EVSE kicking in and see the green charge light. so they talk to each other. Yet I end up with no added charge.
When you add 2 times to charge, are they 1 at 80% and then the other at 100%? strange. Might have to hit up the dealer.

I may just Buy an NEW EVSE that can cut off charging when it sees the car at 80% and an APP on the Phone. The 3G cell in my 2016 is obsolete and KIA won't replace it because of the cost and low volume outsourced Head unit in Soul EV. This way I can manage charge independent of KIA.

I may just Buy an NEW EVSE that can cut off charging when it sees the car at 80% and an APP on the Phone. The 3G cell in my 2016 is obsolete and KIA won't replace it because of the cost and low volume outsourced Head unit in Soul EV. This way I can manage charge independent of KIA.
I may have misunderstood the BMS / L2 EVSE communication protocol, but I don't think an L2 EVSE has any idea of the battery % - it's just sending AC to the car for it to convert to DC for charging.

oh... I'm also getting incidents of it stopping charging after being plugged in. I see blue 3 segment LED shows charging, leave and find out it didn't gain a mile. I hear the clunk of the EVSE kicking in and see the green charge light. so they talk to each other. Yet I end up with no added charge.
When you add 2 times to charge, are they 1 at 80% and then the other at 100%? strange. Might have to hit up the dealer.
No to 80% in both cases. After SC267 recall this issue is not appear for 3 weeks, while I got turtle mod and dealer has my car more than month.

That is correct.
This is too bad, too, because if it did then the EVSE itself could be used to stop charging at 80%. I suppose a smart EVSE could detect that charging has slowed dramatically and conclude that it is at the 80-90% capacity point of the battery, but I don't know if any exist.

I may have misunderstood the BMS / L2 EVSE communication protocol, but I don't think an L2 EVSE has any idea of the battery % - it's just sending AC to the car for it to convert to DC for charging.
Apparently, this is not a thing... I didn't realize that. interesting that apps can tell you state of charge, but it's not communicated to an EVSE... Seems like an oversight or deliberate choice. That's a shame.

Hi Lithium, if you're referring to an app such as JuiceBox or ChargePoint telling you the car's SOC, that's just an estimate based on your input parameters. KIA has refused to update our obsolete cellular modems, so no remote function of my 2016 for years now, while my 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV still has all of the remote charge and HVAC controls that it was born with, thanks to a simpler radio remote rather than a cellular modem. It seems that TESLA is the only automaker that's updating cell modems (and offering battery upgrades) for older models.

Back