COLD weather issues with miles?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigger19687

I know that most of you are in Cali and warmer then here in Boston.

But I know there are some places around there that have chilly weather this time of year.
Anyone notice any issues with cold and less miles ?

I've been driving EVs a long time and cold weather always has a dramatic impact on range.

Colder air is denser and requires more energy to push through. Wet or snowy roads increase rolling resistance. Slippery surfaces limit the ability to regen. Cold batteries are less capable of providing or accepting power. Heating and defogging the cabin use substantial energy.

You can mitigate some of these by:

-Checking your tire pressure and making sure tires are properly inflated, as cold weather naturally reduces tire pressure.
-Use your charge timer to have the battery finish charging close to departure time, thereby keeping the battery warmer.
-Use your climate preconditioning to consume grid power for initial heating and defogging before you depart. Maintaining a warm cabin is much less energy intensive than overcoming the initial temperature delta.
-Use the driver-only climate function to reduce the HVAC system's consumption and, once the cabin is comfortable, use only the seat and steering wheel heaters to keep warm. The heated surfaces use MUCH less power than the cabin heater.
-Keep your speed in check. Increases in drag are not linear and the difference in drag from 60-70 MPH is much greater than 50-60 MPH. This is compounded by dense winter air.

Get ready to be blown away by warm-weather range. When I got my Soul in October it was still 80 degrees here in Los Angeles and 115 miles of city driving range was relatively easy to get.

Back