Creepy?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EV2016

I've noticed that many times when I put the car in reverse it doesn't start moving like most ICE cars and even my Focus EV. I have to press the peddle which normally starts backing up a little faster than I want. I guess a slight lunge is a better way of describing it. It's not like it takes off out of control or anything like that but it acts like it needs a little "push" to get it started. Has anyone else noticed this? It seems to be the same regardless of whether its in the gravel in my driveway or the pavement at work. And this is happening on flat ground, not starting to back up a hill.

The trick is to keep a very firm pressure on the brake pedal as you are shifting into gear. For whatever reason if you have a moderate pressure on the pedal as you shift, the car won't initiate a proper creep for several seconds.

I used to have this exact same issue until I figured out the pedal pressure solution, and now it's gone. Nevertheless, Kia should address this at some point as it can be irritating.

My driveway is on an incline, as my parking lot at work, so I assumed that this symptom was due to the 'hill hold' feature that lightly engages the parking brake.

tractioninc said:
My driveway is on an incline, as my parking lot at work, so I assumed that this symptom was due to the 'hill hold' feature that lightly engages the parking brake.

Hill hold, in my experience, is absolutely seamless unless you let it time out and then the car rolls backwards.

Try keeping very firm pressure on the brake pedal while shifting out of park and into gear and see if that ameliorates the issue.

mtndrew1 said:
tractioninc said:

Hill hold, in my experience, is absolutely seamless unless you let it time out and then the car rolls backwards.

Try keeping very firm pressure on the brake pedal while shifting out of park and into gear and see if that ameliorates the issue.

I think you're right. Today I let off the brake and it started moving backwards. I didn't consciously press harder on the brake pedal but something was different because there was no delay. I'll make a point of making sure that I have the pedal pressed hard and see if it starts to move consistently.

I suspect that the electric hand brake is not fully released even if the hand brake light automatically turns off when you change from park to reverse.
I tried manually releasing the hand brake and it rolls once I release the brake pedal.
Could be wrong, still need to experiment more.

Arthur said:
I suspect that the electric hand brake is not fully released even if the hand brake light automatically turns off when you change from park to reverse.
I tried manually releasing the hand brake and it rolls once I release the brake pedal.
Could be wrong, still need to experiment more.

In my car the initial lurch happens whether or not I've engaged the parking brake, so at least in my case it's unrelated.

The only solution I've found is to keep a very firm foot on the brake when shifting out of park and into gear, then it's always seamless.

So I finally remembered to purposely try to do this. Normally I just let get on auto pilot when I get in the car that I forget to make sure I'm firmly pressing on the pedal. I did it and an espresso stand and even with the parking area on a slight incline the car started rolling forward. So mtndrew1 was correct that firmly applying the brake before shifting into gear pretty much cures the problem, at least in my car.

Back