Fast Heat while sitting still.

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesoundsmith

I want to be able to take Nola (our White Rhino...) to my piano gig. This requires that I can heat the vehicle QUICKLY on break - I have tried cranking the knob to 93 but it still takes most of the break to warm up. I get cold VERY easily and if my hands are cold, the music suffers.

How do I get FAST heat? Don't care about battery usage, I only drive 9 miles one way to work, so not a problem.

Thanks...

Plug in and preheat either through the timer or the app if you are in the US. To keep your hands warm use steering wheel heating.

Thanks, but I'm in a parking lot with no charger within 2 miles. I just need the fastest way to use the heat sink. I', assuming low fan, heater on, air vent lower only, but it doesn't seem to do it fast enough, I need to go from 50dF to 70 in 3-5 minutes...

And FWIW, with the engine ON, heat ON and fan n low, it does get warm enough, so far.

thesoundsmith said:
Thanks, but I'm in a parking lot with no charger within 2 miles. I just need the fastest way to use the heat sink. I', assuming low fan, heater on, air vent lower only, but it doesn't seem to do it fast enough, I need to go from 50dF to 70 in 3-5 minutes...

And FWIW, with the engine ON, heat ON and fan n low, it does get warm enough, so far.

If you want FAST & immediate heat, you might consider an Espar diesel heater. I know it sounds like an extreme solution, and flies in the face of driving a zero-emission vehicle, but with one of these, HOT air will blow from your vents within seconds. They can also be operated via a GSM relay so that you can text the heater from your phone to turn it on and off. They use about 0.2 liters of diesel per hour. There have been a few EV owners that have installed them in northern climates for winter driving (like where I live) not only get instant heat, but also to preserve battery range.

http://www.eberspaecher-na.com/

Thanks for the idea. I have figured out how to get the best heat under the cnditions - but it has a curious effect. The projected mileage is down from 93 to 82, probably because of the use of the battery with the power on but not really going anywhere. Does not affect the ACTUAL available mileage, just the projection.

Thanks for the ideas.

Back