How does UVO communicate?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ptrs

I was talking to another Soul EV owner today. She has not been able to setup UVO in the last 3 moths she has had it. She has reset her UVO account Twice, talked to dealership as well as UVO support and I even added to my UVO account but when we go to activate it in the car it keep says that UVO has not been activated. I checked the firmware, it is slightly earlier version but is USA firmware. Am I missing something? We rest the system, did not help. All I can think for what ever reason the car might not be communicating with Internet. Does UVO use 3G, how does it communicate, could this system or antenna be out?

I recommended she takes it in and have them inspect all heardwear and confirm it is communicating.

Any pointers?

Ptrs said:
Does UVO use 3G, how does it communicate...
If UVO is working in your car then do a Google Search in the navigation. You will see a small 2G icon in the top right as the car connects. (Maybe 3G or LTE in MY2017).
I don't know your payment options. We get 2 years free UVO then have to pay. You also have to pay to set up outgoing phone calls. (Incoming phone calls work fine without payment.)
Is the car that doesn't work more than 2 years old?

Do not know the age of the car but was recently leased so assume it's a 2016 at least.

Has anyone had similar problems?

I have been reading this forum for a few weeks while I consider a Soul EV in Massachusetts. I also wonder how the UVO communicates:

1) What cell provider does the US version use for the telematics? My house is a dead zone for a few of the providers.

2) Does anyone know what type of signal it is in the US (2G or 3G)?

3) What is an easy way to test the telematics during a test drive? The local dealer is willing to let me test drive it to my garage so I can confirm that it works. Do I need to register the car before I can test?

Thanks,
David

dsmking said:
1) What cell provider does the US version use for the telematics? My house is a dead zone for a few of the providers.
When you sign up to UVO you are agreeing this with Verizon - see https://m.myuvo.com/ccm/acct/termsOfService.do
Code:
B. VERIZON TERMS. If you are accessing or using the telematics services provided through UVO eServices, the following additional terms and conditions are applicable to you and are incorporated into the Terms by this reference:

I. YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT YOU HAVE NO CONTRACTUAL RELATIONSHIP WHATSOEVER WITH THE UNDERLYING WIRELESS SERVICE CARRIER AND THAT YOU ARE NOT A THIRD PARTY BENEFICIARY OF ANY AGREEMENT BETWEEN KMA OR ITS AFFILIATE(S) AND THE UNDERLYING CARRIER. IN ADDITION, YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT THE UNDERLYING CARRIER SHALL HAVE NO LEGAL, EQUITABLE, OR OTHER LIABILITY OF ANY KIND TO YOU AND YOU HEREBY WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS OR DEMANDS THEREFOR.

II. YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT THE USE OF ANY INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH THE UVO ESERVICES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY TELEMATICS SERVICES PROVIDED TO YOU AS PART OF THE UVO ESERVICES, IS AT YOU OWN RISK AND RESPONSIBILITY.

III. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT EXCEPT AS REQUIRED BY LAW, YOU ACQUIRE NO PROPRIETARY INTEREST IN THE NUMBER ASSIGNED BY KMA OR VERIZON FOR YOUR USE IN CONNECTION WITH THE UVO ESERVICES.

JejuSoul said:
When you sign up to UVO you are agreeing this with Verizon - see https://m.myuvo.com/ccm/acct/termsOfService.do

Good idea, I didn't think of looking at the terms of service. Verizon is so-so at my house but I have a femtocell to improve my wife's Verizon phone coverage.

You mentioned doing a Google Search on the Navigation unit - is that a good way to test the connectivity?

For a longer test I would download an app. try Yelp
Code:
Soul EV, UVO EV Services includes downloadable apps that reside on the Soul EV’s standard 8-inch capacitive-touch navigation screen.  EV owners may download Yelp, the online urban city guide that helps people find cool places to eat, shop, relax and play.

If connectivity is a big issue for you then you may want to wait a month because the MY2017 will have an upgraded modem.

JejuSoul said:
If connectivity is a big issue for you then you may want to wait a month because the MY2017 will have an upgraded modem.

Do you know what other changes are in store for 2017?

I don't need fast connectivity but want to be able get the status from the car remotely and maybe start the car heating in the winter.

dsmking said:
Do you know what other changes are in store for 2017?
Android Auto and Apple CarPlay will already be installed, instead of being a free download that you install yourself.
Using your Smart Phone for connectivity rather than the built in modem makes the upgrade to LTE from 2G pointless.
2G is easily enough just to check or set the climate controls.

Back