Key Not Detected

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iletric

Did not expect that one so soon. The car detected it after about a dozen tries. Could not start it or even use it to lock/unlock the car. The fob appeared dead.

I tried to check the battery. It's the CR2032. Could not open the fob compartment, based on the pics in PDF manual. I did not look inside the book, assuming it's the same pic. So I took the fob to Kia. There is a slot opposite of the keyhole accessible once you pull the key out. That's where one puts and twists the screwdriver. Got the thing to pop open.

Battery checked out full power. So I am not sure now what happened. Swapped the fob for the spare for now, let the other chill for a while. It's a bit disconcerting, not knowing when it could happen again. Hopefully never. These batteries last at least 1 year, possibly 2. Car should be able to detect it no problem.

Leaf actually had a low fob battery warning. That was very helpful. Wonder if Soul has it too. We'll see.

I've had this happen to both key fobs. If it happens, you can press the key fob directly on the start button and the car will start.

Don't know why this is happening since I've only had the car for a month. I doubt the batteries in both key fobs are running low this soon.

iletric said:
You mean to put the fob in close proximity to the start button?

Essentially, yes. I can't remember where I read it (on the media center screen?) that if the key is not detected, then you need to literally push down on the start button with the key fob. It's worked for me 3 or 4 times.

It's disconcerting it's happening with full fob battery. And it's quite curious to have to use the fob to push down the power button to send the message to the car. I guess the ultimate proximity is what does the trick.

I'll definitely be doing it at crunch time. See how far I get.

I hope Kia is looking at this.

Back