KIA of Portland OR, Ken Cornelison GM. - Liars, Thieves and Cheats...and Elder Abusers...

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffMedb

Hi All,

68 year old woman here. Living on a fixed income. Got bamboozled by a new, local, KIA Dealership, regarding my recent purchase of a 2016 KIA SOUL EV.

Would love to lay it all out, including all the communications between myself, this KIA Dealership and its larger auto-group.

The GM of this dealership has been monitoring my posts, I have absolutely no problem with that.

I have already laid it out for KIA's Powers That Be...not heard back nor do I expect to.

Nothing illegal going on, this dealership has covered itself very very well. More a matter of morals, ethics and doing the right thing.

Please let me know.

NB: I am not naive eg I am aware of the negative stereotypes/reputations of the Used Car Salesforce.

I look forward to hearing back from you all.

Have a lovely day.

Buff Medb Neretin
Portland OR

KIA of Portland, OR, Ken Cornelison GM.

LIARS, CHEATS, THIEVES!

https://www.kiaofportland.com/
Sold me(68 year old, fixed-income woman) a 2016 KIA SOUL EV under false pretenses. Sales staff finance manager all lied to me...and then blamed me for their errors, saying that I was ignorant.

(see excerpt attached) from Ken C's first response to my laying out of the issues and my concerns. As you'll read, not only was well-informed, I spent a whole lot of time at KofP, laying out exactly what my needs were/are)

It seems there is nothing 'illegal' going on - though I question how the eventual Data Analysis (10/25/23) re: resetting the BMS BEFORE doing the test.....resulting in a pretty near statistically impossible high degree of SOH, high enough so that the 70% threshold at which the Warranty goes into effect is avoided.

Yes, I was naive, and obviously not 100% knowledgeable about every aspect of the car. Yes I had thus far avoided falling into the Nastiness Abyss of the Used Car Sales Industry, so was open and still maintained a degree of trust that these folks would not CHEAT me.

KofP/Ken C. (GM)COMPLETELY UPHOLD THE NEGATIVE STEREOTYPES OF USED CAR DEALERS, goingeven further.....When informed of what I thought was their error boththe dealership itself, and its' 'parent' company Boyland (Auto Group)attempted to defend what they had done, instead of just saying - asmorals and ethics might dictate - that I was correct, and agree toeither refund my purchase price in full OR apply that purchase priceto another vehicle I purchase from them.

Every effort I made, every suggestion I offered, every plea for justice, fairness anddoing the 'right thing' was met with more defense of KoP's shadybusiness practices.

I REPEAT: Sold me a 2016 KIA SOUL EV underfalse pretenses, sales staff and (the no-longer-employed) financemanager all lied to me...and then blamed me for their errors, sayingthat I was ignorant.....that they were allowed to do what theydid.

This 68-year woman old spent more than 4 hours there, atthe beginning of September. Laid out exactly what I needed in my nextcar, comfort, range, reliability and battery health being key.

4Hours...certainly enough time to ascertain what my needs were,especially as I was very, very clear.

Ken C. writes that 'theydidn't have enough time to ascertain my needs'........

When I asked for the car's Data Analysis I was told that KofP had not yet done one, and their equipment was not working at the time....

Asked many questions, stressing that I was living on a fixed income. And was extremely clear about what I would be using the car for, and why reliability was key: I am a designated driver for some of my neighborhood Honored Elders, do pick up and drop of food and suppliesto organizations working with our Houseless/Homeless Population, and taking the occasional 100 mile trip to Astoria or Lincoln City,

Was assured that the advertised range of 93 miles was accurate, by first the salesperson (R) and the resident EV expert, whose name I do not remember).

By the time I went for the test drive (with Salesperson R) I was exhausted and kind of excited about thiscar.....so I didn't even question R's not knowing why there were two chargers in the car, and when I he said that the 44 mile range on the screen was at 50% charge I didn't even think to look at the EV screen(samples attached), I just 'trusted that he was not lying to me, given what I had told him I needed and wanted from the car.

I jumped...too quickly, I suppose. Again, this level of betrayal was not on my radar at that time, so I was still 'trusting'. Shouldn't you be able to trust your car dealer?

Turns out that the car range showed 73 at 100% Charge.

I knew that I need to'retrain' the car to get the most out of it, aka achieve the advertised and validated-by-salesperson 93 mile range.

I drovethe car for over a month - Temperate September/October - according tothe instructions from and guidance by an experienced/long term EVowner. Photo-documented the EV Screen.

Have been incommunication with first David the head of the Service Department(who may or may not still be employed there), then Ken C (GM), thenDorian B...and have all communication in writing, which I am so gladto share with you.

KofP did NO due diligence....absolutelynothing to inspect the car, prepare it for sale, advertise ithonestly and transparently...basically they bought a car which anyonewith the least knowledge of the expected Battery Degradation/Range Reduction over-time would know was NOT AS ADVERTISED. AND, the same anyone would know that unless this car had been properly maintained -charged and driven on a regular basis according to KIA 2016 EV Specifications/Recommendations - said degradation and reduction would be more extreme.

You'll notice that KofP is not currently selling older model KIA Soul EV's, and have not been doing so for a few months now.

AND....since my issues with our interaction have been documented - early October - KIA of Portland has added a disclaimer to each of its web-advertised vehicles, basically absolving them of any claims of fraud, even for brand new cars.

And changed their on-line advertising to further abdicate responsibility/accountability for their actions.

This was not there when I saw the ad for my car, back in Late August/Early September. I didn't take a screen shot of the actual ad, at that time, but I am sure that if I needed to I could contact the web-master and ask for a date-timestamped screen-shot of the original ad.
Other changes too...all to cover themselves for their scurrilous behavior.

STEAR CLEAR OF KofP/Ken C.

BuffMedbSEND 1.jpgSEND 2.jpgSEND 3.jpgSend 4.jpgsend 5.jpgsend 8.jpgKC-first response.jpgDisclaimer.JPG

In a 'Treat Others As You Want To Be Treated' world, in a world where ethics, morals, and just doing the right thing is cherished and practiced..THIS....

KIA of Portland

TO: Buff Medb Neretin
Owner of 2016 KIA SOUL EV

February 2nd, 2024

Hi Buff,

I have been wanting to write to you for a while now, too much I want to say so I am sending this on as a preliminary, introductory, apology and to let you know that we here at KIA of Portland want to buy back your car for your full purchase price.

I really had no idea about the pitfalls and drawbacks of EV's especially the older, first gen models. Inspired by your writings about them, experienced first hand, I have been following up and see that...well, I see that KofP should never ever have sold you this car, given what you clearly stated were your needs in this new-to-you vehicle, gleaned from 4-plus-hour conversation with SalesPerson Ray, Finance Manager Jacob, Zach, Nate, any one of the numerous sales people involved

The other day someone in my community mentioned putting yourself, or any of those you care about, into someone else's shoes. I thought about you, my beloved Elders, friends, family....I it really struck me that this is not the way I would want anyone I cared about to be treated.

Again, there is a much longer 'document' to follow: I am thinking very seriously about every bit of our interactions – including my saying that you were 'ignorant', and using the 'EPA says we can do this' excuse re advertised and on-site verbally confirmed range – and want to really lay it out step by step.

Til that time.....I will be in touch with you early next week, to arrange for someone to come and get the car, with a check for buyback in hand. Please have the Title paperwork ready.

Thank you for this opportunity: KIA of Portland stepping away from the stereotypical 'stealership' characterization is so welcome.

A toast to rebuilding trust!!!!!

Have a lovely weekend.

Ken C, GM
KIA of Portland

THIS IS ANOTHER WISHFUL THINKING AKA FAKE NOTE FROM. KIA of PORTLAND/KEN C, GM I WROTE THIS ALL MYSELF, BASED ON WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HAPPEN.

Again, this is a FAKE!!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
To: Buff Medb Neretin
RE: Clearing up the Title Issue and a few other things......
February 9th, 2024
Buff, I am beyond mortified...this last thing, the Title issue, has made me aware once more of how much I need to learn about running an efficient, courteous, trusted and trustworthy business.
Thanks for forwarding the info from your Credit Union...I can see that they took responsibility immediately for what had happened and worked quickly to correct it which is definitely not what I did, in fact I did the exact opposite, again shunting responsibility and accountability. .
I can see from the paperwork that when I sent Trailhead FCU the Service Contract refund I was not at all clear about where in the scheme of things this refund fit in I need to check with my financial folks, to find out why the refund was sent to them instead of you... I can see that we sent on the Service Contract refund directly to them, without notifying you, without explaining in any evident way what this was for (yes, there is a memo on the check, but clearly is very very lacking in identifying information.)
AND it turns out that this check was the last payment on your loan with TFCU. That fact, combined with the lack of any coherent explanation for the refund check...well, I can see how/why Trailhead might have thought that KIA of PORTLAND was paying off the loan.
Under these auspices Trailhead sent you/KofP the Title.
Something else I need to check into and address...why the Title was misplaced at KofP, for almost two months. And why, with such an important document, I/KofP sent you the Title FedEx but not receipt/signature required, and didn't inform you that it was on its way.
I am truly sorry. And will send a note to Trailhead thanking them for taking care of business so quickly and honorably.
BTW, your business admin skills are clearly well-honed. As you can tell, I have been having issues with establishing an effective business model – makes sense, as this was a relatively new business at the time we met. I think that your assistance in establishing policy and procedure, together with your ethos, would greatly benefit KIA of Portland. Let me know if you might be interested in helping us do our best.
Before I sign off for the weekend, I wanted to acknowledge your continuing documentation about the absurdly low range your KIA Soul is getting. I am trying to figure out a way to buy your car back, with a refund totaling the total price you paid. I am also in touch with KIA HQ, to see if there is a way for KofP to get you a brand new battery, wby the end of March 2024. It would be great if we could facilitate this (battery replacement), as I know how much you love this Kia, as much as you loved your two previous ones.
With respect, and the desire to do right by all.
Ken C, GM
KIA of Portland

TO REPEAT, THIS IS A FAKE DOCUMENT, KIA of Portland/Ken C (GM) had/has absolutely nothing to do with it.ANOTHER

I will agree with a few of your points. I've purchased two of these vehicles, One new, one a few years older. Advertising by all the dealerships are deceptive. They always advertise the full capable range when it was new which never holds true on this car after a few years. Their only defense that I can see is they know nothing about electric vehicles. When I bought the used car I bought it knowing that I would need a new battery in 1 year and it would be under warranty. The dealer had no clue.

I will agree with a few of your points. I've purchased two of these vehicles, One new, one a few years older. Advertising by all the dealerships are deceptive. They always advertise the full capable range when it was new which never holds true on this car after a few years. Their only defense that I can see is they know nothing about electric vehicles. When I bought the used car I bought it knowing that I would need a new battery in 1 year and it would be under warranty. The dealer had no clue.
My experience was very similar to yours. I bought my 2016 last July from a Toyota dealership in an area of the USA that has not really accepted EVs yet. They had no clue what they had. They assured me that it was showing a range of 85 miles at 100% charge. I made the decision to buy it sight unseen, as it was over a two hour drive for me. I get there, and it shows 65 miles at 100%. I knew that it still had a few years of warranty on the battery, so I was still considering it. But I was not happy with them, and indicated that I was not going to buy it now, and that they had lied to me and had me make the drive for nothing. I informed them how much it costs to get a new battery installed, and that the car is basically worthless except as a town car. But I allowed them to talk me into at least driving it. Afterwards I did some math on a scratch paper regarding battery degradation over time, and then used some of the numbers to show them how much they should reduce the price based on that. It was mostly nonsense, but they bought it and agreed to my offer.

To resolve these types of issues Kia themselves should instruct their dealerships to provide full battery health disclosure at the time of purchasing a used Kia EV from them. At the very least this should include the current battery SOH, taken using Kia approved procedures, so that the buyer understands what they are getting into. If the SOH is below 70% don't buy the car - it will only leave you with a warranty headache.

The early models of the Soul EV have suffered from what I would call premature battery degradation and many have been changed out under the 8 year warranty using the E400 cells. From personal experience on my 2016 model and a new battery (2.5 year in) the E400's carry more charge and give the range a boost over the 100miles stated when new. If you plan to keep your 2018 model it looks like you may have to wait a bit until the SOH gets below 70% but it looks close. Once its under 70%, claim a new battery under the warranty from Kia.

Agreed, Buff. Stealerships are no place for nonprofessional buyers to do battle with professional sellers, especially in the shady world of used cars. I bought the SOUL EV specifically because I had a killer 151 mile per day commute that would kill the battery during the warranty period (with a midday recharge). Once SOULSPY showed the battery to be below 70%, I made an appointment for their official warranty measurement, and when picking up the car after their "close, but no cigar" EValuation, I scheduled the next appointment and repeated the cycle. Third chime's a charm; I got a replacement battery of the improved design, and put the car on a different mission (48 miles per day) that will ensure a long out-of-warranty service life for the second battery. Sometimes it's a benefit having multiple drivers in the household, each with different needs! So if you cannot drive your battery to death, I'd recommend finding some youngster to do so. HowEVer, though Portland has many faults, it's the closest place to EV Charging Paradise in the USA, so take some joyrides to visit some friends, get to know the turtle, and make sure that your battery crosses 70% before the warranty expires!

Howdy jray3,

Thanks so much for your response. It is gratifying that folks are finally responding to my actual issue, which is that Ken Cornelison/KIA of Portland lied to me, sold me a car under false pretenses, has pretty much admitted, in writing, that he/KofP did not know what they were doing (on a number of levels) , are aware of the horrific situation he has created and left me with....and still will not take any responsibility/remedy the situation by refunding my money and taking back the car.

Aside from the FACT that I do not trust any KIA dealer to do the proper, accurate job re: System Data Analysis (SOH) even if I got a reading which would qualify me for a new battery I am too aware that 1) it takes so so so long for it to come once it's ordered and 2) there is some sort of cascade effect....the new battery is installed and the rest of the system starts to go haywire.

The KIA SOUL is a perfect car for me, in terms of size, handling, and its 'look' etc.

I HATE that I am rethinking ever getting another SOUL - this is my second, the first (2018 KIA SOUL, RED, fully paid for) was stolen, twice (TIK TOK KIA BOYS), the second time was involved in an accident and was totalled by the insurance company - but I think it would be best for me.

Again, thanks for your response, and your 'validation'.

Buff Medb

To resolve these types of issues Kia themselves should instruct their dealerships to provide full battery health disclosure at the time of purchasing a used Kia EV from them. At the very least this should include the current battery SOH, taken using Kia approved procedures, so that the buyer understands what they are getting into. If the SOH is below 70% don't buy the car - it will only leave you with a warranty headache.

The early models of the Soul EV have suffered from what I would call premature battery degradation and many have been changed out under the 8 year warranty using the E400 cells. From personal experience on my 2016 model and a new battery (2.5 year in) the E400's carry more charge and give the range a boost over the 100miles stated when new. If you plan to keep your 2018 model it looks like you may have to wait a bit until the SOH gets below 70% but it looks close. Once its under 70%, claim a new battery under the warranty from Kia.
Hi Nigel, thanks for your response. Mine is a 2016, I think the 2nd year KIA was selling the SOUL EV, so yes definitely in the premature degradation cohort.

YES, it would be grand if KIA Corp had some sorts of quality controls in place, heavily and responsibly monitored. Alas, that is not the case....and not to be expected from a company that knew their cars were being stolen because folks discovered a fatal flaw in the security system, posted step by step instructions on how to exploit this fatal flaw, and apparently did nothing about it for two years....while watching the statistics climb, all over the country. Frequently involving teens and young adults.....

First.....'the day of my purchase (9/6), 'the machine was broken, so we can't get that for you right now', and I was naive re: the truth of Used Car Dealer negative stereotype. That's on me, for sure.....on 10/25, after I confirmed that there was something really, really wrong with the car/our transaction, Ken Cornelison?KofP did the System Data Analysis and it came back as just over 93% SOH. This is an 8 year old car.....the odds of that being accurate are slim. If not actually none.

I have heard stories about dealerships messing up the analysis, either out of ignorance (not knowing about and/or following KIA's specific testing instructions) or on purpose, to avoid having to deal with the warranty issue.

Aside from the FACT that I do not trust any KIA dealer to do the proper,accurate job re: System Data Analysis (SOH) even if I got a reading which would qualify me for a new battery I am too aware that 1) it takes so so so long for it to come once it's ordered and 2) there is some sort of cascade effect....the new battery is installed and the rest of the system starts to go haywire.

Again, thanks for your response....I wish I could count on the kind of out come you have had with your 2016.

Buff Medb

My experience was very similar to yours. I bought my 2016 last July from a Toyota dealership in an area of the USA that has not really accepted EVs yet. They had no clue what they had. They assured me that it was showing a range of 85 miles at 100% charge. I made the decision to buy it sight unseen, as it was over a two hour drive for me. I get there, and it shows 65 miles at 100%. I knew that it still had a few years of warranty on the battery, so I was still considering it. But I was not happy with them, and indicated that I was not going to buy it now, and that they had lied to me and had me make the drive for nothing. I informed them how much it costs to get a new battery installed, and that the car is basically worthless except as a town car. But I allowed them to talk me into at least driving it. Afterwards I did some math on a scratch paper regarding battery degradation over time, and then used some of the numbers to show them how much they should reduce the price based on that. It was mostly nonsense, but they bought it and agreed to my offer.
@nileriver and @faf625, thanks so much for your responses, aka validation. It has been good to finally read replies responding to my major, most important point - Ken Cornelison/KIA of Portland lied to me and left me in a horrible situation. The stereotype is real.......,

Read my other replies, from tonight, on this thread.

Again, thanks.

@BuffMedb one thing to double-check is what happened to member @BEC who was at first denied a warranty replacement but discovered the dealer had tested the 12 Volt battery! He explained the need to repeat the test with a different tool on the correct battery right then and there, and walked out with documentation of a 58.9% State of Health, so check out his post #25 on July 1, 2022 in the thread "Battery Backorder? Since Nov '21". Keep up the good fight! You can have a printout of every diagnostic test. If you have any from the previous visits, please post 'em! -Jay

Jay, thanks so much for this info and your support for my Good Fight. Will consider it....but right now I am so distrustful of any KIA organizations (dealers, admin, etc) that there is no place I would/could take it. Really stinks, this distrust....

Have a lovely day.

Buff Medb

I wrote and sent this letter to Ken Cornelison, GM - KIA of PORTLAND...This is real, not a fake.

"RE: Update for week of 3/24/2024
Continuing Issue - 2016 KIA SOUL EV

Hi Ken,

You stole $13K from me.

You attempted to blame it on me.

Then, after a number of communications, have admitted that you didn't know what you were doing.
Which encompasses everything that occurred on your end, from bait and switch/fraudulent/False advertising, to lying about range, getting your staff to corraborate your lies, running a completely bogus System Analysis which yielded an equally bogus SOH result, then there is the whole nasty thing about the title to the car....

And, to top it all off you are willing to throw your employees and former-employees under the bus vis a vis the FTC.

There is more, but this will suffice for now.

I understand that you are the Board of a local community college...makes me sick to think that this is the example you are setting, even if those involved – students, staff, coworkers – don't yet know what you are doing.

$13K. That is whole heck of a lot of money to have stolen from me.

Selling the car right now will net me MAYBE $6.5K.

There are projects I had begun which I can no longer continue, unless I take advantage of my 9% interest HELOC.

These include but are not limited to: Major Electrical work to my home, to correct life-threatening wiring problems; repairs and/or replacements of fence panels, severely damaged by recent storms; rehab of second floor deck, to ensure safety; roof and gutter cleaning; getting estimates and commitments from contractors who will be working on my home to make it ADA accessible; necessary landscaping.

And those are the necessities.....obviously there will be no funds for sheer pleasure and enjoyment.

AND...I need a car, one that fits the criteria I laid out in the 4 hour conversation I had with your sales/finance folks.

I have purchased another car, with another car loan.

The KIA sits off-street, under a tarp. Is being charged and otherwise maintained in a very fastidious and timely fashion.

11 hours of charging to gain 20 miles of range.....

52 miles at 100% range, IF I don't use anything else e.g. heat or a/c.

You have stolen $13K from me.

Buff Medb

Just read @jray3 and I had to add my experience on my first visit to my local Kia dealership with my 2016, not long after I bought it last summer (not from them). It only had one key, and I wanted a spare, so I called them and made an appointment. I had decided to get the EV battery tested for SOH on the same visit. During the phone call, I asked for that to be checked also, and explained that it was still under warranty, and I suspected that it possibly would meet criteria for replacement. She told me that the battery was out of warranty, and explains to me that the term of the warranty on the battery on my car was three years/36,000 miles or some such. I knew she was talking about the 12 V battery. I tried to explain to her that I was talking about a different battery and that my car has a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty on the EV battery. She would not back down and insisted that she was correct, in spite of several attempts on my part to explain it to her. I eventually became frustrated and asked if I had called the wrong number, and if I was actually talking to the Kia place, and if so, could I please speak with someone else that knows what they’re talking about? She put me on hold. About five or 10 minutes later, she comes back on the line eating crow, and finishes scheduling the appointment. On the scheduled day, I take my car into the shop. Upon checking in, the service clerk is having trouble, and confers out of my earshot with another clerk. They then ask me if I have been to the parts department. I told them that I had not, and why would I? They said that the key has to be ordered in advance. I told them that I had called the week before and made it very clear what all I wanted done to my car and that they had sent me up with this appointment and I was there promptly on time to leave my car. No one ever told me that I have to order my own parts when I call and make an appointment to get something fixed on my car. I realize the key is a part that they probably don’t keep in stock. Which is why they should have either ordered it themselves immediately after making my appointment, or told me to order it. And, the appointment date should not be scheduled until after such date that the part will arrive. I was irritated, but I went ahead and left the car and asked them to perform the EV battery check. When I picked it up later that day, she hands me the paperwork and says that the battery check came out great, like almost 100% or something. Which I knew could not be true. But, I just thanked her, took the keys and paperwork, and left. Upon looking at the paperwork (as you might have guessed), they had checked the 12 V battery. The paperwork also showed that they had done a multipoint inspection, which I hadn’t really asked for. However, upon looking at it, it was pretty obvious that they had just whipped that form with a pencil, as they had checked off boxes showing that they had checked all these things on my car that my car doesn’t even have. ICE cars have them…I love my car, but after reading all the stuff in this forum, I am disappointed in Kia, not to mention the local dealership. Disappointed, but not surprised I guess.

@nileriver...OY. Thanks for writing. It stinks that this behavior doesn't surprise you.....Speaks reams about the state of Fairness and Accountability...and money ruling everything.

@jray3, Great to have you referenced...and thank you for your continuing support.

About to post another letter to Ken, a REAL LETTER.

Have a lovely day.

Buff Medb

Makes you wonder if these so called “service stations” have actually seen an EV in their lives.

https://www.mykiasoulev.com/threads...rs-thieves-and-cheats-and-elder-abusers.1941/

Read all the content on all my threads, starting with this one.....all the information you need is there.

Absolutely no conscience! Ken knows that his lying and cheating has put me deeply in debt and stressed to the absolute max. He has changed the way he 'does business', the changes are directly related and 'cures' for the issues I have had. And still no accountability. Shame on you, Ken Cornelison. And Boyland Auto Group.

https://www.mykiasoulev.com/threads...rs-thieves-and-cheats-and-elder-abusers.1941/

Read all the content on all my threads, starting with this one.....all the information you need is there.

Absolutely no conscience! Ken knows that his lying and cheating has put me deeply in debt and stressed to the absolute max. He has changed the way he 'does business', the changes are directly related and 'cures' for the issues I have had. And still no accountability. Shame on you, Ken Cornelison. And Boyland Auto Group.

Attachments

• Ken.4.18.24.mp3
    2.9 MB
Back