Welcome to the Kia Soul EV Forum

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Bay area and dealers are not pushing Kia Soul EV because they say they don't make much money on it but I chose it for combo of range and cargo dimension when seats folded down. I can fit big furniture and appliances in there because opening in back is very wide and tall. Tons of head space for passengers in back unlike other EV's. Car is short so easy to parallel park. I love the car and it handles amazingly well around corner. No lean at all. Interior is nice and looks like Audi and back seats has a nice recline so very comfortable. I get 120 miles range on it so that is good enough around bay area.

Hi All

Just picked up my new Kia Soul EV (Titanium Grey) from a Kia Garage in Braintree in Essex here in the UK got it for 18K (GBP) which is 7K off the list price after the 5K UK Gov Grant, Damn cheap IMHO for a car of this high spec. And ~300miles on the clock so not brand new but near enough.

I love it (3rd EV so far) Finally we have a genuine practical family (5 seat) EV that is wicked fun to drive :) the only thing I could possibly fault it on is the terribly inaccurate marking of the EV charge points on the built in sat NAV. However I do realize just how difficult it would be for any car manufacturer to keep pace with the number of EV charge points available worldwide so I am willing to forgive Kia for that, I see that you can update the software, does anyone know if that would include updated charge point info? Seems a shame that Kia could not have come up with a way of crowd sourcing the EV charge point info from there drivers plugging in and somehow locating the Charge point location from that, but I guess that would mean networking every car, Tessla do this AFAIK but then they have the funds for Bluesky stuff like this.

Best EV you can buy (bar Tesslas Spaceship! for rich guys) currently in the UK IMHO.

Graham

DurhamFarm said:
Hi All

I love it (3rd EV so far) Finally we have a genuine practical family (5 seat) EV that is wicked fun to drive

Graham - What other EVs have you owned? There aren't many choices in my market, but I suspect there are plenty in the UK.

tractioninc said:
Graham - What other EVs have you owned? There aren't many choices in my market, but I suspect there are plenty in the UK.

I just got back from the UK and Spain yesterday. I saw very few EVs in either country - I think I saw a Tesla in Madrid and one in London, but otherwise nothing. A few Priuses and other hybrids, but fewer than we see here in Vancouver, and no "pure" EVs.

Hi folks,

Kia Ora from New Zealand.

Thanks for sharing all the info, makes interesting reading. I believe I'm currently the owner of the only KIA Soul EV in NZ. KIA NZ don't sell the EV version, this one was a demo imported from the UK in June. l love driving it and have done over 11,000km in it so far. I bought it as it has better range than the 24kWh Leaf. I travel 122km round trip each day without a recharge and usually have about 25% charge left when I get home. I charge to 100% weeknights, taking advantage of cheaper night rate (+-0.10$NZ/kWh) or solar power when home at weekends. There are a couple of other Soul EV's advertised on Trade me ( NZ version of EBay) but not sure if they will sell now the 30kWh Leaf is available as they are around same price!

Hi NZEV. Welcome to the forum. You are the first to post from the Southern Hemisphere. Am glad you are enjoying the car.
Had a look at the trademe website you mentioned. Saw 3 Soul EVs, all ex demo cars imported from England on sales for $41,195 NZD. ($34,000 USD). Do you get any kind of support or warranty from Kia? Buying a car at this price without any guarantee would be a risk I wouldn't want to take.

I also looked at the 30kWh Leafs on the trademe website. They are also ex dealer demo cars from the UK. Selling for just under $40,000 NZD. Am puzzled why would people not buy directly from Japan. The car would only sit on the boat for one 2-month boat trip. Not have to go around the world twice.

Hi!
Here AjoSan from Spain.

I'm considering seriously change my actual diesel car to an EV, and Kia Soul EV is my first option.

Greetings for all the posters!

That's awesome! I was in Spain (San Sebastian and briefly Madrid) this past summer, and I don't think I saw any EVs. Hope you can be a pioneer!

Hi Jejusoul,

Kiwi's don't like to spend lots on cars, so going the secondhand route is very common here. Most come from Japan, but the Brexit vote has impacted the exchange rate in our favor, so ones coming out of UK are now viable. Added to this there is a cost benefit as the UK EV incentive is also passed on to us. Nissan used to sell new Leafs here, but could not compete with the second hand ones, so stopped selling them. Only EV's available new are Renault Zoe's & BMWI3's, though Tesla is setting up shop here next year.

I get you point about not risking buying a Soul without the warranty, but its a chance we have to take - I haven't heard of anything relating to maintenance issues that worries me. Fingers crossed nothing goes wrong, but if it does, I'm confident I can get it rectified without too much hassle.

From Washington State USA. I have owned 3 Prius and now want to go pure electric. Soul lead choice, Ioniq maybe, Bolt if it should get to my area soon. Almost bought '16 Soul but hope the '17 will come here soon. Many EV's in my area, Soul - Leaf - Spark - Tesla (next door neighbor). Enjoy the ACC on my Prius and would like to have on next car, best hope Ioniq or Soul.

Hello everyone! Just acquired a 2016 + over the weekend to replace my expiring lease on a Fiat 500e. I'm in the bay area, and I think I got the last 2016 + in the South bay (Premier in Newark might still have EVs).

Everything is awesome so far (three days in, as one would hope!). It's a big adjustment from the Fiat, which is a tiny, exhilarating and sometimes terrifying rocket. The Soul is roomy and luxurious in comparison, and definitely feels heavy at times (which it is, relative to the Fiat), but still fun to drive, very stable, and a lot more versatile.

I've installed the software update, and am loving the Android Auto integration. And the Uvo app seems quite nice.

Now I just have to figure out how to return the Fiat - it's a challenge around here! (But that's a topic for a different board)

Just wanted to say hi. I saw this forum while looking for some info regarding my Soul, then I decided to sign up. Looking forward to gaining more and sharing my experiences to others.

Hi, Just got my 2016 Soul EV+ this weekend. I came out of a 2014 Ford Focus Electric after 3 yr 35,300 miles. 76 mile range worked but was close and difficult to manage in coldest of winters when down to 48mi. I hope the mid 70s does the job. Not much DC charging on Long Island NY. We'll see.
At 6'7", am I the tallest Kia Soul EV owner?
Cheers,
Lithium

Just sold my 2015 Tesla Model S 70D. I got that when I traded in my 2012 Model S Signature. Now after almost five years with a Tesla as a daily driver I've got a spanking new 2016 Soul EV + and get to readjust to range anxiety. Don't think it will be much of a problem. Nor will figuring out what to do with the extra $700/mo in my pocket.

Hello everyone,

I've had my 2016 Soul EV since last Friday (5/12/2017)!
I was "just looking" but the lease deal was too good to pass up.
Ad in the paper stated $129/mo., 36 mo., 10K miles/yr.

I ended up with 15K miles/yr. for $149/mo. Nothing down. Tax, title, paperwork, registration, all included.
I did finance the $399 dent insurance over the 36 months as well.
I wish I had known in the beginning because I think I could have negotiated the dent insurance as well.
I am in Upstate, (Albany/Schenectady) area and I also had them include the NYS inspections for the term of the lease.
Only $10 (for electric vehicle?) per year but hey, it's something.
So for anyone leasing soon; try to negotiate dent insurance and/or tire & wheel hazard in with the deal before they try to "add-on" at the end.

The only issue so far is the UVO Eco app on my iphone and online is not working.
Called Kia on Saturday and they said the referred it to a higher level tech and they should get back to me is 5-10 business days?!
Salesman called me today and he is more upset than I am. He is calling Kia tomorrow.

So far I have the PlugShare app and ChargePoint app downloaded. Used Charge Point last night for the first time. Needed credit card or paypal but it didn't charge me anything. I'm not sure if it was because it was not peak time or that particular station is always free?

Does anyone know if the 110V charging plugs are universal. We have a Chevy Volt at work and the plug looks the same, I was wondering if I could just use that when I am here?

Well, hopefully the UVO Eco will be working soon and no other issues come up. So far I am really enjoying the car and I get asked a lot of questions from people in parking lots.

I love my blue with white top color.

Also my salesperson was excellent. I hate dealers, and I used to be one.

I am still learning the nav/audio/eco tainment system.
Please share any tips you have discovered.
Take care,

Adam.

Welcome to the club!

The 110V and 240V plugs are universal so you should be able to use the one for the Volt.

Back