Stereo Upgrades: Tweeter and grill removal.

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monorailengineer

So I use to own a car stereo shop back in the days and now I just do it personally for the fun of it. Buying an EV presents a huge problem when upgrading the stereo in your car. You need an amp to get the volume levels up. Amp+EV=more power drain (not good). So I'm going to go with a class "D" amp that draws much less power compared to a regular class A, B, or AB amp. So I guess you guys can see the results and learn from me. I started off with a simple tweeter upgrade. More to follow. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xREbDyCTJDA

Excellent - thank you very much. I really like the thoroughness and detail you provide even for something this simple. Please please do post the additional videos with the other speaker and amp upgrades. I think the stock system does suck and plan on a reasonable upgrade soon. Questions for you:
- for the tweeter cap - what is the correct value?
- are you using 6 ohm impedance with the stock amp?
- what amp are you considering?

As far as removing the door panels, I was able to find what looks like to FSM for the car and I have directions on doing this. It also has info about removing the amp, which I think is under the front passenger seat. For my project, I plan on keeping the stock wiring so I need to keep the original amp harness and figure out how to wire it to a new amp. I have heard that Crutchfield provides car-specific harnesses if you buy the amp from them.

@ELM -

Right now I re-used the cap that Kia was using for the stock tweeter. I'll take a look and let you know. I don't plan on using it for long because I'm going to install a set of 2-way separates that come with external crossovers. I'm currently looking at a Soundstream Picasso Nano PN5.640D 5-channel car amplifier — 60 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms. This should be enough to drive a system without killing my battery and the bank. I believe you can pick one up for around $150. The whole system will be based around a 4-ohm configuration. More to follow...

Hi @monorailengineer,

I was wondering if you'd made any progress on your install, I'm following attentively. :)

Thanks!

Robert

Actually, I'd be interested in finding a navigation + radio replacement that can still read EV system specs (like battery state of charge) as well as display the current A/C temperature setting when I turn that dial. There are plenty of dual din systems that you can put in there but you'd be losing a lot of functionality.

My main issue is that the head unit works but sometimes it is veeeeeerrrrrryyyyy slow. Like, sometimes it takes half a minute for the screen to show the rear view when I put it in reverse. I'd like to find a system - if it exists - that can incorporate all of the vehicle features I have into it. Any ideas?

Back