Sound, Tint and Dashcam (and also a 'hi, I'm new')

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tugrik

Greetings! This is the first Kia Soul EV forum I've found, and while it doesn't seem incredibly active it does have good info on it so far. Keep posting, so I can keep learning! :) I'll do a more general intro post in a more appropriate sub-forum.

As an always-wearing-sunglasses, 'burns on a cloudy day in winter' redhead I always tint my cars. It helps a lot with eye strain in addition to keeping the interior nicer during 100+ degree summer days. I took the car in to the same shop I used on the Leaf and they got the job done quite well. My SoulEV is the plus-package with sunroof in Shadow Black. I didn't bother having the sunroof done because it has that nice full-block cloth closure, but I did the legal limit on the front windows and notably darker on the rear and rear-sides. It looks really swanky and matches the black-on-black Soul nicely. I'm pondering blacking out the rims as well; waiting to hear from a local friend on how best to do that without harming the lease. Pictures will be posted tomorrow (or maybe later tonight) when I get the car back from the auto sound dealer.

That's because (as mentioned in response to someone else's post) I'm having a self-powered subwoofer added. It's small and sits in the rear cargo area just below the 12v accessory socket. I chose this route because I had so much luck with the factory subwoofer box that Nissan put in their 2014 SL Leaf. Again, pictures once I get it back later today, remaining-sunlight permitting.

Lastly I'm a big believer in dash-cams, and Lukas (a Korean company) makes some great ones. The installer is figuring out just how hard it'll be to get it wired nicely. I don't like the ones that just plug into the cigarette lighter because I hate dangling cords. Once it's in place I'll see how it meshes with the 12v battery management and if I need to add the "mini-UPS" the dashcam manufacturer makes so it can run overnight in parking mode. Anybody else ever wired a constant-on device to their SoulEV? Any idea what a good cutoff safety voltage is for the 12v smaller battery? Unlike my old Leaf it doesn't have a solar trickle charger built in so I want to be careful.

The only thing I was disappointed about the purchase was finding that my 'I'll lease one with everything' request had the dealer leave off the Homelink mirror accessory. Adding it after the fact is a whopping $400+, which is a bit much to get a simple garage door remote and a compass display (which the navi gives you anyways), so as much as I hate having little things clipped everywhere I put a normal visor garage remote in for $25 instead. Does anybody know where to get a cheaper Homelink mirror? Or if the generic ones like you find on Amazon might fit?

I may or may not put one of my amateur radios in the Soul... but I know just how bad of luck I had with trying to do that in the Leaf, due to all the interference from the various EV systems. Any other hams out there who have tried?

Welcome to the forum and look forward to the pictures.

I agree the home link would have been nice, I have that in my other KIA's although I would also not spend the $$ on it. Now if it was not an auto dimming rear view mirror then I would. I did not go for the sunroof is because I am a larger guy and need the extra headroom. The one thing I am going to spend the extra amount on are the puddle lights, when I purchased the care I did not care for them but after being at a few charging stations late at night when the lights around them are already turned off I would have liked the puddle lights.

Thank you for the information on the tinting of the windows, I am waiting to have my car done, Washington State you can have up to 25% tint on all window except the windshield of course.

Something minor that I hope they include on the new generation is something I really like from our KIA K9 is that they outside rearview mirror have auto dimm the same as the inside mirror. It's great when driving at night.

Look forward to seeing and reading more.

Back