cixelsyd

Re: 2016 Soul EV+ Battery Replacement - Remanufactured?

Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:55 am

After forcing a calibration (run to <20% then charge to 100%) my reman battery is showing an estimated 100% SOH in SoulSpy. min and max det both read 1.

JejuSoul

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:55 pm

Lelik wrote:I finally got my battery replaced by Kia, they told me there is a facility in Texas where they reassemble batteries. My SOH is 110%, 123 miles range. I'm not sure what battery they put but based on SoulSpy same number of cells. ...

It does seem cars in the US are getting re-manufactured 27kWk packs.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

EVDee

Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:46 am

JejuSoul wrote:
Lelik wrote:I finally got my battery replaced by Kia, they told me there is a facility in Texas where they reassemble batteries. My SOH is 110%, 123 miles range. I'm not sure what battery they put but based on SoulSpy same number of cells. ...

It does seem cars in the US are getting re-manufactured 27kWk packs.

Curious if that's the same or not for Canada.
I'm sitting on a 2016 that's getting close to needing a battery replacement, however I'm debating on waiting if they're not replacing them with 30kWh battery packs at the present time.

JejuSoul

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:43 pm

-
I think a car in Europe just got replacement cells, not a re-manufactured pack.
JeroenE wrote:...I now have a new battery in my car. They did not reset the BMS, so it still shows the old values, even for the min and max deterioration...

An opened pack looks like this -

With a re-manufactured pack the Kia dealer just swaps the pack. The 'new' pack will have been opened at a battery facility where some or all the cells will have been changed. Your 'old' pack goes to the battery facility for them to make the next 'new' one. Given that the same wiring harness, and same BMS hardware will be used again and again, these packs will always be the 96 cell 27kWh version. A dedicated battery facility probably has the capability to sort the cells coming out of the failed batteries into good and bad cells. Hence the replacement cells may not be new.

For a Kia dealer to replace cells, they must open your pack and replace all the cells. They would not have the capability to test each cell, replace the bad ones and then properly balance the pack. Again given that the same wiring harness, and same BMS hardware will be used it, these packs will always be the 96 cell 27kWh version.

Replacing a pack with a new 30kWh one is more expensive than either of these methods. I don't think many people will be getting a bigger pack.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

Return to “Batteries and Charging”