BMS Battery recall - False warnings.

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimdavi

BMS recall added safety logic warning of impending battery fire. I've been driving my Soul now for 6 weeks with the warnings. I've experienced no fire.

If you're listening, Kia, we kindly request that you rollback our vehicles to the previous BMS software version, reinstating full power instead of the 20 kW limit, and allowing charging beyond 80%. We were the early adopters who took a chance with Kia's first electric vehicle; please don't disappoint us.

Last edited:
Just because you haven't experienced a fire doesn't mean you won't. Spinning the revolver cylinder and pulling the trigger without result does not mean the gun is unloaded.
I believe you missed the essence of my argument: the software is faulty, wrongly predicting dire issues and leading to many perfectly operational Kia Soul EVs being sidelined unnecessarily.

I believe you missed the essence of my argument: the software is faulty, wrongly predicting dire issues and leading to many perfectly operational Kia Soul EVs being sidelined unnecessarily.
I think your understanding of cause and effect in this circumstance is suspect. I'm pretty sure that the updated BMS/harnesses that were installed as part of the safety recall will do their best to prevent the conditions that cause the fire in the first place, whether that be by crippling the performance of the car, etc.

In any case, KIA should be repairing these faulty batteries promptly and providing a loaner car until they do.

On the contrary, I opined that you could not possibly know that you were correct and were simply expressing an opinion which could result in danger if embraced.

I think your understanding of cause and effect in this circumstance is suspect. I'm pretty sure that the updated BMS/harnesses that were installed as part of the safety recall will do their best to prevent the conditions that cause the fire in the first place, whether that be by crippling the performance of the car, etc.

In any case, KIA should be repairing these faulty batteries promptly and providing a loaner car until they do.
I'm speaking from experiencing the Battery Recall for six months. Kia updated my BMS software and harness, but soon after, I got battery fire warnings. They replaced the battery, but the warnings on the "Fix" battery returned. When I returned the car, it sat inactive for three months with no explanation or fix from Kia. Frustrated, I demanded my car back and now, for six weeks, I've been driving in power-limp mode, sharing my disappointment with Kia's handling of the recall.

I'm speaking from experiencing the Battery Recall for six months. Kia updated my BMS software and harness, but soon after, I got battery fire warnings. They replaced the battery, but the warnings on the "Fix" battery returned. When I returned the car, it sat inactive for three months with no explanation or fix from Kia. Frustrated, I demanded my car back and now, for six weeks, I've been driving in power-limp mode, sharing my disappointment with Kia's handling of the recall.
Yes, KIA's handling of this situation is extremely inept, with zero consideration for your experience as a customer of theirs.

Just because you haven't experienced a fire doesn't mean you won't. Spinning the revolver cylinder and pulling the trigger without result does not mean the gun is unloaded.
You are correct, but how many fires have there been vs how many Souls sitting in dealer lots? I'm taking the odds and continuing to enjoy my car until Kia sorts out this mess (or until my untimely death).

Back