Battery Recall for cars with E400 high-voltage battery.

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I will try that. Has anyone gotten any resolution on this? Just happened and was told to call Kia Corporate tomorrow. Who can help? I am in Los Angeles, CA, USA
You might try David Lazarus at KTLA. He's a well-regarded consumer advocate, and may be willing to give the ball a kick. I'm in Oregon (L.A. native). Good luck. I'm guessing the most SC267 recall victims will end up in this trap.

I don’t 100% believe this yet but today my service tech told me that they spoke to Kia corp today about my specific issue and was told that a software Update would be available next week. I have the same e400 recall for my remanufactured pack as everyone else. Fingers crossed that it is true and works.

That’s hopeful news.

One thing to consider; if the 12V battery has been sitting for a long time it may be sulfated and near-dead. It would be prudent to request they fully test that battery and replace it if necessary, before you drive off the lot. At nearly a decade old, original batteries are living on borrowed time.

Fingers crossed!

pg

I've been testing my BMS recall SC267 replacement battery in Power-Limp Mode and noticed a consistent downward trend in charging capacity.

I conducted three Car Scanner readings of the BMS SOC after completing a full charge till it stopped. My observation is that voltage cell difference is increasing, and the capacity for full charging is steadily diminishing. From 72.5% now down to 58.5% after one month. That's a 14% capacity drop! I'm worried, perhaps it's time to take my Kia Soul back to the dealership.

Here are the recorded data points:

- March 26: Display SOC 100%, BMS SOC 72.5%, Cell Max/Min volts 4.18-3.86=0.32v
- April 5: Display SOC 79%, BMS SOC 63.5%, Cell Max/Min volts 4.18-3.82=0.36v
- April 26: Display SOC 100%, BMS SOC 58.5%, Cell Max/Min volts 4.18-3.74=0.44v

Attachments

• 1-soc-3-26.jpg
    1-soc-3-26.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 2-soc-4-5.jpg
    2-soc-4-5.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 3-soc-4-26.jpg
    3-soc-4-26.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I've been testing my BMS recall SC267 replacement battery in Power-Limp Mode and noticed a consistent downward trend in charging capacity.
The values you are getting from the app are really weird. What is happening with the actual range of the car. Not what the GOM says but how far you can actually drive.
To compare these numbers with my replacement battery when it was 16 months old. :- Analysis of a replacement battery.

The initial voltage at 7% SOC is 327.4V
The final resting voltage at 100% SOC is 397.8V (each cell at 4.14V)
Cell voltage deviation was zero at all times except for the very lowest SOC when it reached 0.04V

A voltage of 4.14V signifies the battery is fully charged when the battery has little degradation.
The voltage spread widens slightly as the battery degrades. This represents the early-years buffer.

Your car charges to 4.18V suggesting battery degradation. Yet the SOH is stated as 110. Clearly a false reading.
On the first and third readings 4.18V is shown as 100% SOC. This makes sense.
But on the second reading 4.18V is shown as 79% SOC. This makes no sense.

The series of values for SOC(BMS) are interesting in that they are rapidly declining.
72.5%,, 63.5%,,58.5%,

Possibilities for this include cells unable to re-balance and / or rapid severe degradation.
Given we don't know which it is I would be careful when driving this car below 20% SOC in case it suddenly loses power.
A range test would help to find out.

BTW - given my earlier assumption about the pack in your car I'm not sure we should use any of this data to determine how the BMS is working because it seems to be so different from the rest.

"My explanation for this is that this is a re-manufactured pack containing cells of very different capacities. Maybe some of the cells are new and some are old. Maybe all are new but they are of different types. No-one (including Kia) knows what is inside every re-manufactured pack."

Last edited:
Back