Day time running lights

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love the LED "eyebrows" to light up on my U.S. car for a DRL function as they do on Soul EVs in other markets.

It's kind of mind-bending that someone went to the trouble to disable the function for only the U.S. market when most new cars here from all makes (including Hyundai/Kia) come with DRLs. What could the thought process have possibly been? All the hardware and software was in place but someone had to write alternate code to support removing this feature. Truly bizarre. I was under the impression automakers aimed for the fewest production variables possible.

After extensive research and tracing wires, at least the US version I have, the OEM DRL option is just not deactivated but totally removed. The wires required are missing in the wire loom and even the 9th pin to and in the headlight for the DRL is missing. This is not even knowing if the BCM has the logic or if that has been left out as well. Why they left the fuse for the DRL is a question as it will never be used?

I see only two options worthwhile at this point. Drive with the parking lights on or have an aftermarket DRL kit installed. I will be going with the latter now that I confirmed it would cost a lot more to retrofit and activate OEM DRL.

So we were out the other night and we were parked and planned to watch the fireworks from our car. Since the car is zero emissions, we thought it would be a good idea to leave the car running with the AC so we don't fog up the windows while maintaining comfort. Turned off the display from the Setup screen but had no way of turning off the DRL. Minutes before the fireworks started I decided to just crack the windows a bit and turn off the car because I didn't want to be THAT guy that leaves his lights on.

I have a Canadian model in Ontario. I think it's a legal requirement so EV or not it can't be disabled.

Most cars in Canada will shut off the DRL's when the Parking/Emergency brake is set. When off road, in my last vehicle, with good moon light I could lift the brake one click, turn the dash lights low and drive once my eyes got used to the low light level. This allows you to see everything instead of just what's in front of the vehicle.

I'm curious if you start the car, leave it in park, and set the parking brake, does the DRL shut off? I'll try tomorrow. :)

You Canadians get all the cool stuff. No DRL at all in the US, an inexplicable decision by Kia.

For the version that have DRL can you please tell me if the LEDs are noticeably brighter when the headlights are off?

I'm thinking of purchasing a set of headlights from Canada that I can wire up to use here in US. Or can someone tell me the part number for the headlight that has the DRL, so not US.

For the moment I am mounting LED DRL under the bumper with a DRL harness that just connects to the 12V battery. I've used this kind of setup on ICE cars and worked great.

Still would rather want the OEM eyebrow lights though.

Update on US version, attempted to install a DRL aftermarket harness, thought it was a long shot but worth a try. As expected did not work. Because my car is a lease this is the last attempt at doing this. I'm not going to import headlights and hope I can connect the car control computer on a lease.

Odd how in countries that have this as a requirement people are looking for ways to deactivate it and here that it's not some are upset that the option was removed.

I hope in the new generation that in counties that it's not required KIA gives a setup option to activate them such as Toyota.

Hey guys did anyone find out how if running the wires from pin 9 on the headlight to the BCM activated the DRL? Thanks

Back