HID Xenon Conversion Kit

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghafsteinsson

Hi there fellow Kia Soul EV owners!

My name is Gunnar and I´m from Iceland, I am a very happy Kia Soul EV owner for about 6 months now, Black & Red one. The only thing that is bothering me is the color difference from the LED and low beam as well the fog light. Have any of you ever changed to an HID Xenon Conversion Kit? And which color did you choose? I´m thinking to change both my Low beam (H7) and also my fog lights (9006) to 6000k.

I found a kit from Kensun for a great price on Amazon but I saw that someone was talking about the Morimoto conversion kit? Which is better? And do you have any tips and tricks for me? :)

With best regards,

Gunnar.

While I have yet to modify the Kia Soul EV headlights I have been thinking about it. I have a 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid as well that comes standard with halogen low and high beams. I purchased a number of LED lights and found that they did not throw a beam of light as far as the OEMs. I tried the Kensun HID setup and while they were brighter the same thing occurred. The pattern is not as good as OEM. I have read in other forums that the focal point of the light source is critical and is probably a matter of a few mm. The Highlander by the way has projection headlights and not reflector type. I believe the Kia is the same setup (projection). I ended up putting in Philips Extreme Halogen bulbs which throw further than the OEM. The only problem is I wanted a whiter light then what the halogens provide. On the Highlander forum some have suggested that going with Philips LEDs or HIDs is the best way to go because they are closest to OEM specs. I have not yet tried them but will probably do so.
Manny

drmanny3 said:
While I have yet to modify the Kia Soul EV headlights I have been thinking about it. I have a 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid as well that comes standard with halogen low and high beams. I purchased a number of LED lights and found that they did not throw a beam of light as far as the OEMs. I tried the Kensun HID setup and while they were brighter the same thing occurred. The pattern is not as good as OEM. I have read in other forums that the focal point of the light source is critical and is probably a matter of a few mm. The Highlander by the way has projection headlights and not reflector type. I believe the Kia is the same setup (projection). I ended up putting in Philips Extreme Halogen bulbs which throw further than the OEM. The only problem is I wanted a whiter light then what the halogens provide. On the Highlander forum some have suggested that going with Philips LEDs or HIDs is the best way to go because they are closest to OEM specs. I have not yet tried them but will probably do so.
Manny

Thank you for your reply Manny,

That is the same thing I heard about the LED lights, they don´t seem to be as good as I thought. In all the reviews I have watched/read they all say the same thing you are saying about the lack of distance they throw the beam of light. In most cases the HID kit gets more "thumbs up" but it varies around what brand you buy. I´m going to check the Philips HID kit, thank you ;)

And please let me know if you try to modify your Kia Soul EV and how it went :)

With Best regards,

Gunnar

A potential issue is that the "lock" and arrangement for aligning the bulb correctly in the lamp is integrated into the lamp socket on the headlights. They don't have a separate locking ring or mechanism to keep the bulb in place, but it's all made out of 3 "ears" on the plug with the wires that connects to the bulb. That way, putting in a HID kit is definitely not plug'n play, have to fabricate something..

Official OEM HID projector low-beam headlights w/auto-leveling & LED accent lights on Kia Soul 2016 non-EV:

feature_soul_2016_HID-projector-beam-headlights-jewel_S--Kia-600x-jpg.jpg

http://www.kia.com/us/k3/content/media/all/vehicles/soul/brochures/brochure_soul_2016.pdf

Continue here: http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=492

Back