My review/feed back

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFFarm

I don't test drive vehicles for a living, but I've owned 36 cars in 15 years, and I drive about 125000km a year so I'll give my feedback on my soul so far. I know a lot of people considering buying it google some of these topics and read these forums so I'll try and hit some key points for people who don't already own one.

Range and every day use...
I got a 2015 soul ev base in black/red. In Canada, the base doesn't have the heat pump or DCFC. I drive a 140km round trip each day. 1/3 country road, 1/3 city streets, the remainder highway. generally flat terrain. I average 14.8kw/100km city, 15.2 country roads (at 80km/hr), and about 18+kw Highway. Top speed makes a difference in consumption, but so does initial acceleration. I tried a couple days of really creeping up to speed, and a couple days of 'normal' acceleration. I actually found better energy consumption in regular acceleration (not gunning it or creeping). So far, since I've got the car, there's only been a hand full of days above freezing. So I use the cabin pre heater, and I manually cycle the cabin heater. With all of this I'm getting about 150km using B mode. The last couple days of plus 15C has actually dropped the energy consumption by about .4 kw/100km disregarding the heater.
B mode and Eco...
The B mode and eco are nice features. My wife refuses to use B, and Im obsessed with using B. In our commute, using B saves about 10% (we've tried the same route in both). Eco makes the B mode slightly more aggressive, but otherwise it really seems to be there for people who are to jumpy on the throttle. Just cruising at any speed, if you switch from eco to regular, there's no change to the motors consumption. When using B mode, I've tried a few scenarios to see what yielded the best results. We tried long coasts to stops gaining about 4-5 kw for longer stretches,and we tried last minute stops for -40+ kw for short distances. All of this without using the brake pedal until completely stopping. In my opinion, the best gains were from a short coast, with an aggressive pedal release near the end. If you let off fast, the car brakes hard, but if you taper off to the same pedal position, it stops less aggressively. That type of stopping can drop the kw/100km the same as it increases when leaving the stop sign.
Winter driving...
Tires it comes with are horrible on frozen ground. with traction a control on, the car literally will not move if it's on ice or snow. B mode has to be controlled a little more too (similar to a Jake brake). The climate control does takeep a good bite of range, but I use the preheated in the morning which buys time before I start the cabin heater. The seat heaters are very strong too. When plugged in to a 120v plug, the preheater at any temp seems to drop the charge by about 5% over the 30 minutes. The wall yields about 1200watts while the heater is pulling almost 4000. when plugged in to the 240v 30amp charger, the preheater can run and the car trickle charges at the same time. As predicted by some, the front charge door freezes shut almost every time I use the car. I give it a couple love taps and it usually opens. I might add a tab to it so I can pull it out if it's jarred shut.
Charging...
As advertised, 120v wall plug taked about 22-23 hours, but the bosch 240/30amp takes about 4. It doesn't charge proportionally. It starts slower, ramps up mid charge, the slows down after 80%. The charge timers are great. At 7 pm the car goes to 80%, and at 5 am the car charges to 100% finishing minutes before we leave to work. Keep in mind that if you switch the charge schedule while the car is plugged in, it won't take effect. You have to unplug snd plug the car back in. Public charge stations are near non existant here, but there are some. Most in inconvenient places. But that's part of the deal getting a technology newer to the area. It'll pick up.
Features...
Stereo sounds great, but my sxm has frozen several times and I have to hit the reset button on the front. No issues with anything else. On country roads at night, the low beams work well, but the high beams don't add much. I'm going to re aim the projectors to see if it helps. The cloth seats in the base are great, like sitting on a giant pair of pyjama pants.
Overall...
I've never owned an EV before this....never even drove one. I never owned, or cared to own a kia either. I've always had lifted trucks, Suvs, built up turbo cars...pretty well everything polar opposite to this car. And after putting about 3000km on it, I love it. Every one says smooth all the time, but it's hard to explain how smooth if you've never driven one. I let everyone drive my car so they can feel it. The car takes more attention then gas counterparts because you want the most range. But I think most buyers are car guys or tech'ies so they wouldn't mind the perusing of the gages constantly. People seem to like it and I'm answering questions all the time (some being dumb sexy hamster jokes). People are usually unimpressed with charge time vs putting gas in. I just explain it as a different mind set. with gas you stop every couple days to fill, with electric you just add a bit everywhere you go, then top up at night. It becomes second nature. We have a small farm and are surrounded by other larger farms, my second vehicle is a lifted truck, which are common place in the rural area..believe it or not. So I figured I was in for some serious commentary when I got it. But overall people are really impressed with it and had no idea there were affordable EVs with that kind of range.
Next....
I bought new rims for the car that are 12lbs each....very light. I hated the oem ones, so they will be the winter wheels. I'll weight them when I pull the tires. I also got a rear spoiler for it....but I doubt the aerodynamic loss will hurt range much. I'll post any difference in energy consumption with the lighter wheels when I mount them....if it'll ever warm up in Ottawa!

**Sorry for the grammar, I wrote this on a cell phone that feels the need to autocorrect everything

Thanks for a great review.
WOW, 125,000 Km a year, that's 350Km per day.

Looked at your vehicle when it was at Hunt Club, first time seing a black one LIVE.
Very nice !
Good choice not waiting for the Luxe, at least you can enjoy it.

I too, appreciate your in depth review. Did you ever put winter tires on it, or just made do with the originals?

I'd love to see a picture of the car with your new 12 lb. wheels. What brand are they please?

I'd like to see the spoiler too.

Mike

LFFarm said:
...If you let off fast, the car brakes hard, but if you taper off to the same pedal position, it stops less aggressively.
Interesting observation and would imply that they have rate detection built into their accelerator-position software - presumably your observation occurs when starting the slowdown from the same identical speed? Normally, with other EVs, the magnitude of regeneration is a function of vehicle speed (up to the maximum regen amperage limit) and mode setting.

Hi LLFarm,

Great summary of the car and your experiences. Did the car come with an EVSE? I think I read online somewhere that Kia Canada is providing one with the car. If so, can you tell me which model they are shipping with it?

thanks,

Freddie

JoeS said:
Interesting observation and would imply that they have rate detection built into their accelerator-position software - presumably your observation occurs when starting the slowdown from the same identical speed? Normally, with other EVs, the magnitude of regeneration is a function of vehicle speed (up to the maximum regen amperage limit) and mode setting.
that's what I would've thought too....and you could very well be right. There's nothing overly precise about my measurement. I used the same speed and same intersection every morning to try it out. What gave me the impression that it's not directly related to speed was watching the battery usage 'drivetrain' read out and kw/100 Meter. Using the meter for the method I mentioned previously, the gain from decelerating drops the usage by almost the same as what it increases leaving that intersection and getting up to speed. I say almost because it uses more once you hit about 70. You can also feel the difference in a full release of the throttle and backing off the throttle....but I could just be feeling the momentum. I'd be happy to play with it more and figure out how much power you can gain from both (ex: -10kw for 200 meters or -5 kw for 150 meters with a quick -30 ish for the last 50 meter)

blownb310 said:
Did you ever put winter tires on it.I'd love to see a picture of the car with your new 12 lb. wheels. What brand are they please?
I'd like to see the spoiler too.
Mike
Ran the oem wheels for the past month. I rarely put winters on my vehicles but I will for sure next year. The rims are kosei k4r 16's. Not the nicest looking but they're light. But I'm starting to second guess getting them over a cheaper set on kijiji (leaving on a trip so I was going to order them once I'm back home). It would be unfortunate to spend an extra 500 to find out it made very little difference. The k4r is 12.6 lbs while some of the cheaper options are 17-18 lbs.
Kia on Hunt Club will put on my spoiler when they take the car back to put in the rust proofing module, I'll post a picture once they do.

Freddie said:
Great summary of the car and your experiences. Did the car come with an EVSE?
You get a coupon from bosch/kia once you pick up the car And its up to the buyer to contact bosch and order it. It's for the 240v 16 amp charger. You pay the shipping though. I upgraded to the 240v/30amp with 18 ft cord and with shipping it cost about $400cad extra. I like the 30 amp because its fast, and strong enough to charge even with the car 'running' to extend my cabin heating. I had a bit over a week of charging off the wall plug until the charger showed up. I couldn't find the charger on the MTO's website so I don't think you're eligible for the rebate on the extra you spend to upgrade.

Although I would have guessed they'd include the lowest model, but it's such a waste to come bundle with such a weak EVSE when the car has a 6.6kw charger on-board.

How does the Bosch coupon work? $400cad extra seems rather crazy... How much did they charge for shipping and how long did that take?

fanbanlo said:
Although I would have guessed they'd include the lowest model, but it's such a waste to come bundle with such a weak EVSE when the car has a 6.6kw charger on-board.

How does the Bosch coupon work? $400cad extra seems rather crazy... How much did they charge for shipping and how long did that take?

When I called Bosch, they told me the coupon was valued at $478.20 cnd (cnd price of the 16A charger on http://www.pluginnow.com/ca/charging_stations ). You specified what you wanted to order - I also ordered the 240/30A w/18' cord. Then tax (HST), difference between the charger price, and shipping ($75 + tax) was added. My final cost was $324.38. The charger arrived in 4 business days. I would strongly suggest, when you call Bosch, to use FAX to send the required info. I tried email, and could not get it to work - they have rather crazy email addresses @ Bosch USA.

Hi LLFarm,

Great review! My round trip is shorter, but sounds similar to yours, 100km - approx 60km country roads and 40km city driving (drive time being 50% country, 50% city). I don't have any convenient highway stretches to take advantage of.

Near Toronto, the weather has not been as cold, but I must have taken a 'bad trip' and messed up my projected range. When I got the car it initially had a range of 181km, and stayed in that range for almost a week. Then it dropped to 134km, and now is slowly creeping back up ... it is at 143km this week. Regardless of the stated range, I always arrive at work using 35%-40% of the battery (60%-65% charge left), and arrive home at 25%-30% remaining capacity ... so power usage is very consistent, with limited impact from the climate system.

The EV+ heat pump system, in automatic mode, reduces the projected range by as little as 5% to as much as 20% - I haven't figured out what exactly causes the difference in projected range - climate system power usage doesn't seem directly related to range reduction - although maybe it is averaged over a period of time. I tend to set the system to automatic with a pre-heat target of 25C, and reduce the driving temperature to 20C.

I had not thought of splitting my charge time to 80% then the final 20% later - I had set mine to 100% starting at 2am, and am a bit uneasy because we've had a significant number of power outages in the wee hours.

fanbanlo said:
Although I would have guessed they'd include the lowest model, but it's such a waste to come bundle with such a weak EVSE when the car has a 6.6kw charger on-board
The only reason I can think they include the smaller charger is so more people can use existing 240v circuits at home. 8/3 bx is a big wire to run.

irfca said:
Regardless of the stated range, I always arrive at work using 35%-40% of the battery (60%-65% charge left), and arrive home at 25%-30%.
The EV+ heat pump system, in automatic mode, reduces the projected range by as little as 5% to as much as 20% -
I had not thought of splitting my charge time to 80% then the final 20% later - I had set mine to 100% starting at 2am, and am a bit uneasy because we've had a significant number of power outages in the wee hours.

I guess its a tough comparison with or without the heat pump. My power usage is almost dead on with what you just said, except when I'm driving alone, I go as long as humanly possible without heat and when I do use it, it's set at 19-20c. I've also noticed that the amount of power climate is using doesn't change range. The element will read 4 kw usage and drop to .5 kw for a while but not change range. Like you said, must be an average.

The highway does the car no benefit though. I've been trying to keep my average kw/100 around 15.2 ish, but hitting the highway cranks that up over 16+ easy

As for the staggered charge times, I was just taking hints from the tesla forums. I'm no battery expert, but the known Li killer is a full charge so I try and make sure the car never sits at 100% for more then an hour or so....whether it helps or not. With the mileage I do I need this battery to last as long as possible. I don't know for certain but I'm not sure if the car will start charging again if there's a power flicker while it's running a scheduled charge. I'll flick the pony panel breaker tonight mid charge and test it out

LFFarm said:
The only reason I can think they include the smaller charger is so more people can use existing 240v circuits at home. 8/3 bx is a big wire to run.

Most common dryer plug is a NEMA 14-30 rated for 30A right? AFAIK it's not safe to run a 30A EVSE, but a 20A should be better right? 16A seems rather weak, I guess it's an old model introduced with the original Leaf.

fanbanlo said:
Most common dryer plug is a NEMA 14-30 rated for 30A right? AFAIK it's not safe to run a 30A EVSE, but a 20A should be better right? 16A seems rather weak, I guess it's an old model introduced with the original Leaf.
Correct - and at 80% capacity, you could, in theory run a charger at up to 24A on a NEMA 14-30 - so you would need a charger that is configurable for that, and would then be charging at 5.7kW with a max charge time of approx 5-6hrs for the Kia.

Back