New recall: electric parking brake

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesasand

Just received a letter in the mail from Kia about a recall for 2015 to 2019 Soul EVs.

Apparently it’s an issue with the electric parking brake, but it looks like it’s only a software update.

Look for letters coming in the mail soon.

Got the recall for the EPB on my 2016. This is the second recall for the same topic. Personally I feel there is a design flaw in the transmission and that the parking pawl becomes defective after a time and the car does not hold when put in the park position on the transmission. Kia's simple fix was to modify the software so that the EPB automatically engages when the vehicle is turned off with the transmission in the park position. Now we have a second recall for the same fundamental transmission issue that Kia have not properly addressed. The recall was another software update - everything was done in under an hour and the car is working as before - EPB engages when the car is turned off when in park.

Note that the automatic engagement of the EPB is a real pain when you want to change out the rear brake pads. I don't have the service tools to disengage the EPB so had to go to the dealership for a simple brake pad change out :( :(

It may be posible to turn off the car while in neutral, then get the pads out.
You will need to secure the front wheels so it doesn't move.

Got the recall for the EPB on my 2016. This is the second recall for the same topic. Personally I feel there is a design flaw in the transmission and that the parking pawl becomes defective after a time and the car does not hold when put in the park position on the transmission. Kia's simple fix was to modify the software so that the EPB automatically engages when the vehicle is turned off with the transmission in the park position. Now we have a second recall for the same fundamental transmission issue that Kia have not properly addressed. The recall was another software update - everything was done in under an hour and the car is working as before - EPB engages when the car is turned off when in park.

Note that the automatic engagement of the EPB is a real pain when you want to change out the rear brake pads. I don't have the service tools to disengage the EPB so had to go to the dealership for a simple brake pad change out :( :(
I had this same issue when i was having my 2016 towed a few years back. Luckily there's an easy fix: Just push down the EPB release and keep it held down as you turn off the vehicle. This will force it to stay released. Be sure to hold the EPB button down until it is completely shut down. Unless they've modified the way this works, this should do the trick.

Just received a letter in the mail from Kia about a recall for 2015 to 2019 Soul EVs.

Apparently it’s an issue with the electric parking brake, but it looks like it’s only a software update.

Look for letters coming in the mail soon.
I had received one too and went in to dealer. They installed a software patch. I did actually notice a difference. Before it sometimes did not seem to lock properly and was a bit fiddly. Now it seems to lock correctly every time and more quickly.

Back