KIA niro EV with problem in ESP (EPB) problems for advanced users

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codename

Hello Kia Community,

I would like to share a few problems present in my electric car although another model KIA Niro EV, I don't believe it is any different than Soul.
What happens is this: when I start the car and press the brake pedal, the EPB and several other icons immediately light up on the dashboard. Including auto hold, which is inactive for use. I also don't have autopilot. I'm attaching the errors I was able to pull up with the x431 diagnostic software. I would appreciate it if anyone could help me with their experience or guide me as to which component to check/replace with the idea of fixing the car's problem. In addition, I will say that the car runs great, has ABS, but no ESP.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards !

Attachments

• KIAniro-Launch.jpg
    KIAniro-Launch.jpg
    834.3 KB · Views: 0
I have no real answer for you, but my car would sometimes throw weird warning lights when the 12V battery was dying. That always happens when starting and usually when it happens it means it won't start at all without recharging the 12V battery.
Perhaps your 12V battery is not the great anymore either?

I have no real answer for you, but my car would sometimes throw weird warning lights when the 12V battery was dying. That always happens when starting and usually when it happens it means it won't start at all without recharging the 12V battery.
Perhaps your 12V battery is not the great anymore either?
I noticed that sometimes when the car is not on a level road, I have parked it on bumps and a slight slope, there are no errors when I start and press the brake pedal, errors appear as soon as I step on the 4 wheels on the same level. I can't logically explain that they are initiated by a bad battery, since after pressing start, the charging of the 12V battery starts and the computers are in full working mode on 13+V, but I will try with a new battery.

I noticed that sometimes when the car is not on a level road, I have parked it on bumps and a slight slope, there are no errors when I start and press the brake pedal, errors appear as soon as I step on the 4 wheels on the same level. I can't logically explain that they are initiated by a bad battery, since after pressing start, the charging of the 12V battery starts and the computers are in full working mode on 13+V, but I will try with a new battery.
No, the car first has to start of the 12V battery. Only when that is completed the propulsion battery is switched on. Only then the car can be powered from the 12V DC-DC convertor (using the propulsion battery as a source). I think this is a mandatory safety feature to prevent the propulsion battery being live when the car is off.

Hello, JeroenE, I understand you very well, but my problems are not related to the 12V battery.
Today, for example, I tried a very clever method. While the car is in direct and moving, I cleared the errors with the diagnostics from the ABS module. After that, when I gave full throttle, the ESP worked perfectly until I touched the brake pedal again. If I press the brake pedal the errors come back again. Maybe I should find a diagram of how the modules in this car communicate with the computer and why it shuts down the ESP module when the brake pedal is pressed. Also, what stops working is the Autopilot and autohold function. To my great regret, the dealership here is unable to help me with a solution to the problem.

Hello, JeroenE, I understand you very well, but my problems are not related to the 12V battery.
Today, for example, I tried a very clever method. While the car is in direct and moving, I cleared the errors with the diagnostics from the ABS module. After that, when I gave full throttle, the ESP worked perfectly until I touched the brake pedal again. If I press the brake pedal the errors come back again. Maybe I should find a diagram of how the modules in this car communicate with the computer and why it shuts down the ESP module when the brake pedal is pressed. Also, what stops working is the Autopilot and autohold function. To my great regret, the dealership here is unable to help me with a solution to the problem.
It seems more a problem with your brakes or ABS to be honest. I'm not sure if autopilot relies on that. ESP needs to be able to detect traction loss (as does ABS). Autohold needs to know if you have pressed the break to standstill.
I don't know why the dealer can't help, for sure they should know more about the car/problems or at least be able to talk tot the official people at Kia who do.

I am slow to pick up on all the acronyms, but I’m pretty sure our ‘23 Niro Wave does not have anything called “autopilot”. Can someone explain to what this refers?

I am slow to pick up on all the acronyms ...
Me too.
I just looked up one of them ESP
ESP = (Electronic Stability Program) :- KIA Niro: ESP(Electronic Stability Program) System / Description And Operation
My Kia Soul EV doesn't have this.
I'm guessing that 'autopilot' refers to Highway Driving Assist etc :- Driving assistance technology
My Kia Soul EV doesn't have this either. Just a really basic Cruise Control.
x431 diagnostic software is a Chinese software that lets you troubleshoot (DTC) diagnostic codes.
I have never seen it before and don't know if it would be useful for the Soul EV.
The error shown in the screenshot above is for Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist which is a puzzle because he says he doesn't have 'autopilot'.

Sorry I can't be of much use in solving this problem. I don't know the details of all these systems and how they interact. I agree with Jeroen on this one. Ask one of the service guys at your local Kia.

JeJuSoul, thank you. Every little bit of info helps us understand. We are well pleased with the adaptive cruise control for our commute!

I think the errors that are important are C160E08 and U0129. These two errors are the initiators of the other 2. But unfortunately I can't find an adequate guide on what to check to fix them.
And the representation at the local level in Bulgaria is not aware and cannot help.
Аs i already shared after i clear the errors while running all the computers work correctly.

Was this an option in your region? I'm pretty sure it's on all the Soul EV's in Europe because it became mandatory since November 2014 for new cars sold in the EU.
I think you are right. It's called Electronic Stability Control on the Soul EV. Presumably the same or similar to Electronic Stability Program.
There's a discussion about it from back in 2016. Traction Control and Electronic Stability Control
-

Back