Red Range Bars Started to Blink w/ Concomitant Loss of Range

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my instrument cluster replaced because of blinking bars. They were unable to transfer the odometers count (I've driven 16.254km about 10.000 miles), so now I my odometer only shows that I have driven 300km this far (almost 1 year old car).

Anyhow, the day after the replacement, the blinking of the SOC bars were back. So it seems changing the instrumt cluster is a no go.

Birkeland said:
I got my instrument cluster replaced because of blinking bars. They were unable to transfer the odometers count (I've driven 16.254km about 10.000 miles), so now I my odometer only shows that I have driven 300km this far (almost 1 year old car).

Anyhow, the day after the replacement, the blinking of the SOC bars were back. So it seems changing the instrumt cluster is a no go.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your post. I'm just about to go in for my 22,500 mile service and was going to have them swap the cluster to deal with the blinking. I was already hesitant to do so with the concern that they'd reset the odometer (I'd be PISSED) but if it doesn't even solve the blinking problem then screw it, I can deal. It only happens once a month or so in my car and restarting the vehicle solves it. In 18 months or so it'll be someone else's problem and aside from that, the car has been dead reliable.

Birkeland said:

Thank you for the update. Ugh.

So I've also noticed this blinking. I take it the consensus on here is that it is basically a cosmetic issue only and does not affect the charge status nor reflect a problem with the battery? If that's the case, then I'll learn to ignore it.

Just the other day my replacement instrument cluster started blinking. It doesn't look like the replacement fixed the issue permanently. I haven't seen it for quite a while, however. I'm at over 12,700 miles now.

Just happened on mine, 2016 6K km.
Are we sure the panel is powered by the auxiliary 12V battery?
Did anyone try charging 12V battery using a regular charger (such as for ICE cars)?

I am going to charge my 12V and see if it happens again. I did charge main battery to 80% last 2-3 times so wondering if 12V battery was not charged?

Does anyone understand when 12V is charged?
Is it charged from the start when car is plugged in? Or at the end of a charge cycle? When?

I am surprised since temp is ideal for batteries and my 12V is brand new, so should maintain a decent voltage.

Does adjusting dash light level have anything to do with it?
It could be just a coincidence, but I used the control panel light level dial for the 1st time today and blinking started at that time. Will turn it back down to min, see if it has any effect.

Few more thoughts.

Reading other posts seems 12V is responsible for all standard cabin electronics and stratup, etc.

Well yesterday I was showing the car to a friend and it was on for about 5min without driving. Wonder if 12V got depleted and this blinking is simply an indication of a weak 12V battery.

Again wondering if charging to 80% failed to recharge 12V and/or DC-DC converter didn't charge it enough while driving.

Anyway will certainly charge 12V when I get home and see what happens tomorrow.

slobodanc said:
I did charge main battery to 80% last 2-3 times so wondering if 12V battery was not charged?

Does anyone understand when 12V is charged?
Is it charged from the start when car is plugged in? Or at the end of a charge cycle? When?

12v Acid battery is charged when :

- the car is charged
- you drive it (green car with 2 arrows ONLY !!!).

when you have the charger cord (Kia official power cord) plugged BUT YOUR CAR IS FULL ... the 12v Acid battery is not charged.
regular charge are made in this situation (60 wh every 3 days for me).

Bonus : image when 12v Acid battery is used.

dY9rl7.jpg

Bonus : when power cord is plugged ... with CHARGING CAR and when the CAR IS FULLY CHARGED.
gauge is the Volts (Ad).

mu1Rbq.jpg

Nse1ne.jpg

source : http://www.automobile-propre.com/forums/kia-soul-ev/le-kia-soul-ev-ne-demarre-plus-la-batterie-12v-est-cuite-t4951-10.html#p57987

I charged my 12V after work using an "intelligent charger" (3A).
It worked for about 2 hrs, so seems 12V was fine, was not depleted as I suspected.

This morning blinking did not occur. So maybe 12V charge state is not the cause and/or not a factor, not sure.

In any case I will connect 12V charger from time to time just to see if it is charged/maintained properly.

I read somewhere a software update is supposed to correct this flickering issue, but i can't remember where.

Ironically, i never had this issue until i took my SoulEV in for the steering recall and at the same time a software update regarding the battery heater (suppose to give the car more range) was performed. now i wish there is a way to roll back the update.

I have seen this blinking of the display on a couple of occasions now (the car has about 1700 miles on it). Both times it was a really wet day with lots of rain (not that unusual in the Seattle area, even if it's over 60 degrees F and clear outside now).

I am happy to read in this thread that it's not just me, and also that it seems to be "just cosmetic". For now I will just let it go.

On charging: for the first month of having the car I was using only the 120V level 1 EVSE that came with it, with one public level 2 charge. We have since had a Clipper Creek level 2 unit installed and have been using that exclusively since then. I had one occurrence of the instrument flicker before we got the level 2 and one since. For whatever that's worth.

On software: as far as I know, it's up to date. I installed the update that enabled Apple CarPlay about a week after we got the car.

first time for me, too.
3 red bar blink this morning (3°C, rain, 6500km).

after couple of km, no problem.

Same issue on my car, did not notice this before. Car is 6 months old and around 5K miles. Also happened on a rainy day (does NOT happen that often in Austin TX). Did not notice any other impact.

I have not seen this problem (red bars flickering) again since my July post in this topic, gone through hot/cold, wet/dry days, and Full/80% L1/L2 charged. I hope this problem will go away for all you guys like it did for me.

I just had the blinking issue show up on my Blue 2016 Soul EV+ this morning. It had been sitting a couple of days and was fully charged this morning with the L1 EVSE. Outside temp read 31F so close to -1C. This blinking seemed a little different than what I had on my White Soul EV+, only the last bar would blink_ most times but periodically the entire red section would blink_ and once in a while the lower white section would blink_ too. I'm going to just live with it until we hear of a fix or it gets annoying. The car has 8393 miles on it, last four of the VIN is 5073.

soo this morning a year and a couple weeks after ownership i have noticed this morning my red bars blinking for the first time.. quite alot actually probably would be annoying at night time.

seems like whatever goes wrong with this car you are likely to get at some point.

also from my 1 year check up i have the front charging door on back order due to sticking not staying closed.
was told they redesigned it but its all on back order like everything else part wise.

obc was changed at 10,000 km

Back