Soul Spy?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the ELM WiFi-dongle and EOBD-Facile APP for iPhone. This app has a terminal window I can use to send request on the CAN-bus.
I've used 2101 to 2105 for fetching the battery-data and all that, but what do I send to get other data like VIN, door bits and odometer data?

goev said:
I have the ELM WiFi-dongle and EOBD-Facile APP for iPhone. This app has a terminal window I can use to send request on the CAN-bus.
I've used 2101 to 2105 for fetching the battery-data and all that, but what do I send to get other data like VIN, door bits and odometer data?

VIN is like the standard OBD codes, 0902

For door bits and raw CAN stuff, for now (AFAIK) we must monitor the bus for specific messages (ATCF xyz; ATMA;), look at Tyel's spreadsheet for currently known CAN IDs!

I understand that some of you are going to want an iPhone app, some want an Android app, some want OVMS, some want a particular feature, others want another particular feature. Unfortunately we don't have a team of 30 developers working full time to do all this, and a project manager and product managers, etc. So each of us has to individually choose where we want to concentrate our efforts.

For me, Leaf Spy Pro on Android has been extremely useful for me, as I have often taken long road trips and it's good to know some detailed information about the car. Now that we have a Soul EV as well, I need something to help with our road trips in this vehicle as well. So my efforts will be concentrated around an Android app.

As far as information I might want to know about the car when I'm not actually in the car, the UVO services provide that (charge level, location, ability to start/stop charging, etc.). So I will only be using the app when I'm actually in the car, the same as with Leaf Spy.

TyrelHaveman said:
As far as information I might want to know about the car when I'm not actually in the car, the UVO services provide that (charge level, location, ability to start/stop charging, etc.). So I will only be using the app when I'm actually in the car, the same as with Leaf Spy.

I wish I had UVO here :( Unfortunately, as I understand it, it is only available in the USA. We don't have it here in Canada (I don't even think the car is equipped with a cellular modem).

SiLiZiUMM said:
TyrelHaveman said:

I wish I had UVO here :( Unfortunately, as I understand it, it is only available in the USA. We don't have it here in Canada (I don't even think the car is equipped with a cellular modem).

Oh, interesting; I didn't realize it wasn't world-wide. Nissan's CARWINGS (now Nissan Connect EV) is worldwide, I think?

That is why I want to use OVMS, since we don't have UVO here in Norway :)

Which features do you plan to have in the SoulSpy?

goev said:

The features I would use most are probably the same features I use the most in Leaf Spy, in no particular order:
  • View Diagnostic Trouble Codes
  • View battery health information
  • View tire pressures
  • View estimated range at given consumption rate
  • View & log state of charge (%)
  • View & log available energy (kWh)
  • View & log battery temperatures
  • View & log power (total, aux, A/C, etc.)
  • View & log charging status (L1, L2, DCQC, rate of charge)
  • Log ambient temperature
  • Log location (phone's GPS)

goev said:
That is why I want to use OVMS, since we don't have UVO here in Norway :)

For OVMS, do you need a cellular modem and a data plan to make things work?

I'm most interested in battery temperature/cooling fan status and battery degradation.

Can you recommend an Android device to pick up on the cheap to use solely for SoulSpy?

It is designed to be usable on anything that runs KitKat. I develop using an old Samsung Galaxy S2 (looking forward the new Nexus 5X)

SiLiZiUMM said:
For OVMS, do you need a cellular modem and a data plan to make things work?

The OVMS includes everything except SIM-card. Without a data plan, you still can use SMS. With a data plan it can also send data to the OVMS-server and the OVMS App on your phone can read and send commands via this server.

At least this is how I understand it. I haven't received the OVMS yet, so... :)

I'm very wary of anything sitting on the CAN bus and connected to a server somewhere in the Internet. The safety risks are too high for me.

A CAN bus dongle connected to a phone or laptop in my control is within my acceptable risk criteria.

Another problem for me with OVMS is that the cellular bands it uses (1) have zero signal at my house whatsoever (we just have a tiny bit of CDMA), and (2) are being decommissioned by the US & Canadian cell providers in a year or two.

http://www.business.att.com/enterprise/Family/mobility-services/machine-to-machine/m2m-applications/cd2migration/page=addl-info/#fbid=R3iy6rtumAe

TyrelHaveman said:
Another problem for me with OVMS is that the cellular bands it uses (1) have zero signal at my house whatsoever (we just have a tiny bit of CDMA), and (2) are being decommissioned by the US & Canadian cell providers in a year or two.

Hehe! I can see that being a problem, yes.
Here in Norway, the GPRS-coverage is near 100% and they have planned to keep it until 2024, so for norwegian Soul-owners OVMS can be a good solution. However, the price, lack of functionality, lack of developers and the quite complex setup are problematic, so I honestly think it will not be that widespread.

notfred said:
A CAN bus dongle connected to a phone or laptop in my control is within my acceptable risk criteria.
You have to be present to connect to a Bluetooth dongle. But often the pincode is 0000 or 1234 (and not changeable) so in fact it is not a good idea to keep such a dongle connected either.

Unfortunately my cheap dongle is somewhere in between China and here so I have not been able to test anything yet.

Am looking at the numbers for battery deterioration. We only have a small dataset but it does seem reasonable in that deterioration seems to increase with age and use. Have no idea yet what an average value for the cells might be, nor how this deterioration would show on the Range.
Code:
Car         t           Age          km      max det      min det
T           9.7          ?           ?            0           0
U           106.1        1           1500         0           0        
C           180.7        2           3266         4           0.8    
K           308          6           7000         2.5         0   
G           484.5        6           5500         8.3         0.8    
N           1688         ?         20,024         10.8        9.3   

Car - A random letter to identify the car
t - Accumulated Operating Time in hours
Age - Age of car in months
km - distance on the Odometer in km
max det  = maximum deterioration of a cell in %
min det  = minimum deterioration of a cell in %

Hi everybody!
I've been following this interesting project for a while, and had to get my own ELM327.. :)
Here's some data from my Soul. Looks like cell deterioration is pretty much consistent to the mileage.

The car is 6 months, 18084 km. Data logged while parked and running, 43% SOC displayed.

10: 3D 61 01 FF FF FF FF
21: 53 23 28 23 28 03 00
22: 06 0D BA 0E 0C 0D 0D
23: 0C 0C 0C 00 0E B7 01
24: B6 54 00 00 8C 00 01
25: 42 69 00 01 40 1B 00
26: 00 76 C6 00 00 72 DB
27: 00 4F 4A 85 45 01 5B
28: 00 00 00 00 03 E8 00

10: 2C 61 05 FF FF FF FF
21: 00 00 00 00 00 0D 0D
22: 0E 00 00 00 00 23 28
23: 23 28 00 01 50 0D 0D
24: 00 5D 20 00 53 01 56
25: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
26: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Welcome and thanks Elmil! I added your data to the spreadsheet.

Also, I added 3 new data sets from our car yesterday. I am seeing new values in 2101, line 21 byte 6. Usually, we see 0x03 there, I've got 0x00 (like Alex), 0x20 and 0xA3 (which could be 0xA0 + 0x03 considering it is maybe a bit field). I've added the descriptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back