what other cars did you consider?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried and thoroughly tested in Norway (>450 miles each):
- VW e-Golf 35 kWh
- Hyundai Ioniq
- Nissan Leaf 30 kWh
- Nissan e-NV200 7-seater
- Renault ZOE 41 kWh
- Soul EV 27 kWh

Tesla are out of my price range and frankly takes up too much space. Bolt/Ampera-E Great range, but 2 years waiting list.

Ended up ordering the new 2018 30 kWh Soul Electric with 3 weeks delivery. For me the best compromise between range, space and price.

I was first considering :
1) bmw serie 2, active tourer:
++ PHEV hybrid : can do both electric and petrol if needed for long range
-- with only 30 km electric range we would have to charge it everyday
-- was expensive
-- when not used in ev mode, no advantage vs a normal ICE, even higher petrol consumption vs. standard ICE

2) bmw i3, but it was
++ premium car manufacturer with a futuristic carosserie technologie (composite materials)
++ good acceleration
-- expensive
-- only a 4 seater, cabin too small for our family

3) Nissan leaf
++ UVO, app
-- most ugly car on earth or at least not far from that

4) Renault Zoe,
++ very good range, and relatively cheap
-- plastiky, look and feel cheap
-- no support for DC fast charging

I choose the Soul because:
++ it looks funny,
++ driving is really joyful and relaxed with linear accelerations, not as punchy as other ev but ok
++ the cabin was large enough for 5 adults
+/- cargo space is ok, not gigantic but ok
++ it is short enough for city usage

After 1 month of use:
I am so glad about this choice,
at the beginning it was supposed to be our second car, but at the end I sold our first car (family 7 seater, ICE) to just keep this one. If we ever need to do long range trip (a few times per year), then I will rent one car.
it is silent, super relaxed to drive in cities or stop and go in B-mode, the children like the design as well
the air filter (ionizer) does a good job to suppress all odours and to give a nice cabi air
nice touchscreen and entertainment system,
pre-heating is just great in cold mornings
that's the first SUV like car that is, because of his very low centre of gravity, not wobbling above humps or during turns !

Bottom line:
that's simply a perfect city car !!!
Only drawback: because of his SUV boxy shape, this car is not made for highways (the consumption is doubled) or plan many stops

Concidering the fact that, where I reside, the speed limit goes from 20 to about 45 mph, I think it'll cope just fine. Great car at an OK price.

JejuSoul said:
thedutchsoul said:
Only drawback: because of his SUV boxy shape, this car is not made for highways ...
correct - as this excellent graphic from pushevs.com shows

http://pushevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/range-and-efficiency-table-by-pushevs-v4.png

this graph is indeed very informative, this save a lot of reading
thanks for the link

:D

Back