What's better, immediately putting a low battery on charge or leaving it 90 minutes before putting it on charge?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDee said:
..... since getting the BMS updated.

I have the 30kWh battery (10th character of VIN is "J", build date Oct 2017 - i.e. 2018 model as I understand it). My dealer says there are no outstanding updates. Could my car have the BMS update from new?

ksoul2084 said:
Well that video was filled with a bunch of pretty unspecific claims and advise. :)

If you really want to be careful with your battery you should just get the SoulSpy app and a suitable Bluetooth ODBC adapter for it and you can monitor the temps in your battery pack and use real data to determine if your car would benefit from a cooling off period after driving before charging or not. Also note that it's probably more important to not charge when the battery is very cold, but we have to assume the BMS and battery heater can manage those effectively.
Right, but these unspecific claims and advice are frequently cited on the internet, so they must be true! ;)

I didn't necessarily assume that giving the battery a rest period before putting it on charge was only about temperature, I thought it might also be about letting the activity in the battery settle down first. But I'm not a battery engineer, so...

I do have a suitable bluetooth ODBC adaptor, and intend to give SoulSpy a try. :)

IanL said:
EVDee said:
..... since getting the BMS updated.

I have the 30kWh battery (10th character of VIN is "J", build date Oct 2017 - i.e. 2018 model as I understand it). My dealer says there are no outstanding updates. Could my car have the BMS update from new?

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for that, however when I bought my car last year I knew there was a BMS update due to issues I was having with the pre-heating function in cold weather. However my dealership insisted that there was no such thing for my vehicle, but weirdly that update I asked for suddenly came into existence when I started the battery warranty process. Make of that what you will..

ksoul2084 said:
I guess I meant to say ODB2 adaptor. "ODBC" is a database connectivity standard. :oops:
You're right of course! I specifically have the KW902 ODB2 adaptor. :) Looking forward to messing around with it, even if you can't do nearly as much with it as you can with a BMW. ;)

Back