Which charger station do you recommend?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mknight

Hi,

I have not bought my Soul EV, yet - and I'm new to EVs overall.

I had my electrician run a dedicated 55AMP 220 Line to where I will install the charger station and need to choose which to get.

Do any of you have any recommendations for an inexpensive outdoor unit that works well with the Soul EV?

I want to get the maximum power charging speed possible without damaging the battery.

Looking at Amazon, there is the GE EV Charger Indoor/Outdoor Level-2 DuraStation Wall Mount with 18 ft. Cord for $399 Link: http://amzn.com/B00VVFO39W that has good reviews and runs up to 30 AMP - anybody have any experience with that with the Soul EV?

Does it matter what you get?

I heard there is an open source one that runs up to 40 AMP - would that work well with the car? Is it worth spending the extra $100 bucks now to be future ready for higher AMP cars in the future?
JuiceBox 40A Plug-in Electric Vehicle Charger / Charging Station with 24-foot Cable and NEMA 14-50 Plug
by Electric Motor Werks, Inc.
Link: http://amzn.com/B00I4D6SJ2

Thanks for the feedback, its been a very solo learning project here and I really appreciate your help.

Michael

I went with this...
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-EVB32-H18-Evr-Green-Charging-Station/dp/B00YCRNJVY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1454867355&sr=8-7&keywords=Leviton+EVSE

There are some cheaper EVSEs, but my power company (PSE) rebated $500 so I only paid $75. Leviton is a good brand and my electrician thought it was a very good unit.

Then, I got $200 back on my federal taxes when I filed yesterday.

I park in the driveway. I mounted the EVSE just inside the garage and ran the wire under my garage door. I took a 2x2 strip of wood and mounted it to the bottom of my garage door so the door does not close on the wire. There is a 6" wide gap at the end with weatherstripping so when the door is closed it is sealed around the wire.

NEMA 15-50 is best. Don't hardwire it.

mknight said:

I heard there is an open source one that runs up to 40 AMP - would that work well with the car? Is it worth spending the extra $100 bucks now to be future ready for higher AMP cars in the future?
JuiceBox 40A Plug-in Electric Vehicle Charger / Charging Station with 24-foot Cable and NEMA 14-50 Plug
by Electric Motor Werks, Inc.
Link: http://amzn.com/B00I4D6SJ2
Michael

Yes, I got the JuiceBox so that I can be ready to charge at a higher rate if the upcoming Gen 2 EVs have a higher rate charger. I'd recommend this EVSE.

wrickcook,

Was wondering why your recommended the plug-in rather than the hardwired EVSE?
Thanks

Lithim said:
wrickcook,

Was wondering why your recommended the plug-in rather than the hardwired EVSE?
Thanks

Mainly, it leaves options open.

First, if my EVSE goes bad, it will be easier to replace (wont have to call an electrician)

Secondly, and this is only theory at this point... Camping. I used a NEMA 14-50 plug which is what RVs use at campgrounds. In March-April I plan to test this, but I want to use Chademo chargers to help get somewhere ~200 miles from home. Then, as I drink by the campfire, my battery will charge and the next morning I can go further. Level2 charging in the middle of nowhere.

I will get an extension cord, but they are spendy.

I bought a Schneider EV Link back in 2012, mostly because it was available from Home Depot and there were very few 30-Amp EVSEs back then that could be had for a reasonable price. We've been using it for close to 4 years now on our Nissan Leaf, and now it charges our Soul EV.
(http://www.homedepot.com/p/Schneider-Electric-EVlink-30-Amp-Generation-2-5-Enhanced-Model-Indoor-Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Station-EV230WS/203670265)

Hard to beat ClipperCreek for fine charging stations made in the USA, and sold at reasonable prices. Just installed a hard-wired HCS-40, which is a 32-amp, 7.7kW unit. The Kia will only charge at a max. of 6.6 kW, but I'll be ready for the next EV with a higher charging rate.

If your garage needs a 240-volt circuit, beware of estimates from electrical contractors. I went through the 'Home Advisers' website, and was immediately put in contact with two contractors. One bid $680 and the other $650 to re-purpose an unused 40-amp circuit originally intended for an electric stove. Next I called a contractor that had done some work at my church. He estimated $350, and did the job in less than 2 hours for a time-and-materials charge of $256.

cybermorse said:
The Kia will only charge at a max. of 6.6 kW, but I'll be ready for the next EV with a higher charging rate.
You can use Torque to read the data from the internal OnBoardCharger of the car. Here's a screenshot.
34rumgp.jpg

purchased a GE Durastation enroute home from the dealer (first stop!) at a Home Depot which carried it in-stock. Decided that since the SoulEV has the timer for delayed charging - it might be easier to only have one to coordinate -- rather than having one in the EVSE as well.

while it certainly is nothing to look at - decided that it was fine for my garage.

purchased a plug/cable holder from electric motor werks - to keep the plug from hitting the ground and to have someplace other than the box to wrap the cable around.

electrician coming tomorrow morning to install - was lucky had an unused 40amp 240v circuit so we can repurpose it.

--- UPDATE ---

no charging occurred the past few times I tried to use it - power up, click, lights flashing. to be sure it wasn't the Soul, charged it at Level3 and two level2 stations -- popped the cover this afternoon on the Durastation - oops - burning smell and charred white cable to the Jplug. Back to the Depot I go!!

I went durastation too, no problems so far. Definitely huge bang for the buck. The whole "easy to unplug" thing in case of repair is overblown. Its just three screw terminals to unplug a durastation.

am certainly hoping the problem was a one-time fluke. you're definitely right about the plug-in / hard-wire -- it's going to take longer to mount the new one on the wall than to reconnect the wires!!

swapped in the new Durastation - took longer to replace wall anchors, etc. than to actually connect the unit. all going well - will hope it continues!!

The Soul EVs sold in Canada include a coupon for a "free" Bosch Power Max EVSE. So basically that's the 16amp version with 18ft cord. You can get a different model and they will give you $595 off the price. You are responsible for the taxes on the full price and $75 for shipping.

So you don't even need the provincial rebate for the hardware just qualify for the $500 install rebate.

I went with ClipperCreek LCS-30P, Plug-in 24 Amp Level 2 EV Charging Station with NEMA 14-30. It's very simple and rugged, and works great for me.
Went with the plug in version so that I can easily replace it if needed or take it with us if we were to move.
Been in use for 3 months now with no problem.

Back