Winter driving energy use estimate

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slobodanc

I could use some help with estimating my winter driving limits from other drivers (Sweden, Canada, etc). In particular I am trying to see if it can handle my 100 km trip commute to work. Here is the setup:

Trip = 50 km one way, 100 km total
Duration = 0.8 hr, 1.6 hr total
Rest period = 8 hrs
Temp = #1 -20C, #2 -30C
(2nd scenario for extreme cold days)

My summer record was 12 kWh/100km but more typical is about 14 kWh/100km using AC.
Considering the additional resistance (snow, wind, etc) I will go with 14 kWh/100km consumption for driving.

Reading posts here I am finding around 5 kW draw for climate. Of course, I can always play with settings and adjust down to +5C to reduce consumption (for scenario #2). I have luxury model with heat pump.

motor = 14 kWh
climate = 1.6 x 5 kW = 8 kWh
total = 22 kWh

Now the missing component is battery heater while parked.
This is why I have 2 scenarios, #1 cold and #2 very cold
I didn't find any data on heater draw while car is parked @-20C or -30C????

According to my estimates I have 5 kWh left to spare.
Another complication is snow slowing down traffic that would slow me down causing climate to work longer. However it only snows above -10C so in this case climate would use less power. It would work longer while using less, so same end result.

Are my estimates correct? Any info on power use for maintaining battery pack while parked?

I am comfortable with the 5 kWh reserve. However below that I would be concerned.

Final question.

Say I am in panic mode and want to kill climate to bare minimum. I would keep my coat on, etc. What is the minimum climate power use to keep windows clear (AC) and steering wheel heat?

thanks

answer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgUTBe0knNA

-35°C = -50% of range. :mrgreen:

hint : use massive planned temperature to pre-heat the space (and the battery too) from the charger cord (or wallbox).

when you have -20°C or -30°C regulary, you MUST use a wallbox (min 3kW !) to allow more power to heat in the maximal range of 30 minutes allowed by the scheduled heating feature of the Soul.

EVSE charger do the same job from 1kW to 6,6kW (but you MUST have 3kW like i say).

I'm in Ottawa, Canada and last winter I got about 110km on a full charge. I only noticed the battery heater one day when the temperature was a high of - 25C. I parked at work in the morning and when I came out in the evening then the range had shrunk without the car being turned on at all.

I think you are being too pessimistic on the climate usage. I have seen it use 5kw but that is when I put on the defogger when it has the resistive heater running flat out plus the AC running flat out as well. For normal winter conditions if you have one with the heat pump then it seems to settle to between 1 and 2kw consumption after an initial burst of over 3kw.

notfred said:
.... I think you are being too pessimistic on the climate usage.....

Yes I am on purpose. Trying to figure out the worst case scenario.
So you didn't notice a significant energy loss while parked at -30? Excellent :)

I lost 10km between parking it in the morning and leaving in the evening on the coldest day this last winter.

Using approximate values:

10 km = 2 kWh / 8 hrs = 250 W

So the battery heater is only using about 200-300 W

Well that is not too bad. I can likely compensate for it by using less heating while driving.

Back