Portable Level 2 Charger

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using the Panasonic(Nissan) EVSE from EVSEupgrade.com. It works on 120V and 240V and can be programmed from 6A to 20A on 240V and 6A to 12A (16A special order) on 120V. You can purchase adapters for use with several different outlet types which is great if you are traveling and need to plug in at an RV park or something. The unit is weather sealed so you don't have to worry about it getting wet.

I measured the current draw of my 2016 Kia Soul EV+ and find that it draws about 1.6A less than the setting. The max current on 240V was 18.4A. FWIW, using the Kia supplied EVSE the car didn't draw 12A either.

I've been thinking of possibly getting one from www.openevse.com since it will handle either 24A or up to 40A depending on the version you get.

Depends what you mean by portable. There are plenty of EVSEs around that plug in to a NEMA 14-50 socket.

Light weight, not a big box but larger capacity than a 16a. I think I found the best option as it's from Canada, meets the requirements for the 50% rebate from the Government and free shipping, will just have to find an adapter to a Nema 14-50 plug.

http://boutique.roulezelectrique.com/collections/bornes/products/borne-de-recharge-240-volts-evduty

Back