Tesla Fast Charge Adapter

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neal

Has anyone bought and tried out a power plug converter that adapts a Tesla DC Charger connector to a type 2 Kia connector. I'm going to travel some and I want to be able to use either type charger with the user of an adapter.

I'm not familiar with a Tesla dc charger, but if it only provides dc, it would not be possible to adapt the output to the Type 2 connector, which supplies ac to the car.

The Chademo port on the car takes dc, but I understand there is no adapter from Tesla to Chademo.

Thanks.
Let me lower my goal here and ask if anyone has tried a Tesla adapter to J1772 adapter (CCS1 on my Soul EV) to charge their Soul EV off of a Tesla Type 2 charging station?
By the way, I actually found a Chademo to CCS1 converter on a quick Google search. It is pretty expensive. Also there are CCS1 DC chargers.
I am considering a Type2 converter in case I am in a situation where I can only find a Tesla Type2 charging station to use on my trip.

Neal said:
Let me lower my goal here and ask if anyone has tried a Tesla adapter to J1772 adapter (CCS1 on my Soul EV) to charge their Soul EV off of a Tesla Type 2 charging station?
In theory that is only wires and a different shape, nothing fancy like converting protocols.

I'm pretty sure you can find those on Aliexpress or Amazon.

Note that Tesla destination chargers have two modes. One will allow any car to charge (including a Soul with an adapter) the other one will only allow Tesla vehicles to charge.

You can't see in which mode they are and it's not always communicated correctly by the hotel/shop where they are located.

By the way, I actually found a Chademo to CCS1 converter on a quick Google search. It is pretty expensive. Also there are CCS1 DC chargers.
I am considering a Type2 converter in case I am in a situation where I can only find a Tesla Type2 charging station to use on my trip.
I placed an order for one of those, just got an update that it'll ship in about 10 days. The guy on alibaba.com (whatever Chinese company it is) is pretty communicative so far, and has said if you encounter any issues, just get him a log and they should be able to push an update to the firmware after their engineers look at it - will keep you posted. The adapter is interesting since it has its own mini computing to handle the handshake... it also needs USB-C charging cos it has an internal battery.

btw I went with the one posted by Dala EV from Youtube. Google search will bring it up...

Will post some photos/charging videos once I have it in hand.

I've been using a TESLA UMC as my road-tripping EVSE for a couple of years now, and plug it in with an adaptor. Yes, it's just a physical pass-through with no internal logic.

Locuturus, I have the same CCS1 charger to CHAdeMO car adaptor. It hasn't worked yet, but I'm not a great partner for software debugging (or communicating via WhattsApp, as is their want). Good Luck, and Keep Us Posted!

I've been using a TESLA UMC as my road-tripping EVSE for a couple of years now, and plug it in with an adaptor. Yes, it's just a physical pass-through with no internal logic.

Locuturus, I have the same CCS1 charger to CHAdeMO car adaptor. It hasn't worked yet, but I'm not a great partner for software debugging (or communicating via WhattsApp, as is their want). Good Luck, and Keep Us Posted!
The guy from Longgood whatever company said if it doesn’t work will have to figure out how to get a log to them and their engineers will work out a firmware update or something. Very interesting way of doing things but at least the guy is responsive…

Yes, I just have to take the time to do some logs and send 'em back. I've tested on all the major models of DCFC around here, Tritium, Delta, etc.. and also with my 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV. The adapter just blinks away happily as if waiting for a handshake, but the CCS1 pedestal EVentually times out without sensing anything.

Back