B mode - brake lights?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beachman

So only had a few trips having picked up the car a few days ago just wondering if anyone knows if in B mode, do your brake lights go on when you let off the accelerator and your regeneration kicks in? I love it that you don't have to use the brake in stop and go traffic and approaching lights but wondering if the drivers behind me just see the car slowing down, or do they see brake lights as well?

Yes, as you lift off the throttle to decelerate in B Mode, the brake lights come on at the very top of the pedal travel--that last half cm/quarter inch of movement before your foot lifts completely off the throttle pedal activates the brake lights.

tractioninc is correct. We were concerned about this as well when we first picked it up, and we tested it when we went somewhere with two cars, and spoke on the phone to see if the lights were turning on when I was using regen 'braking'.

thanks. it kind of feels like you are doing some serious gear downshifting in a manual which wouldn't trigger a brake light, but good to know that people behind me are seeing brakes.

must be highly annoying to drive behind me since I find myself coasting down hills for 3-4 bars of regen, and letting off the accelerator way before the red light to coast into it with no active braking - but the extra range is awesome.

Beachman said:
must be highly annoying to drive behind me since I find myself coasting down hills for 3-4 bars of regen, and letting off the accelerator way before the red light to coast into it with no active braking - but the extra range is awesome.
Been thinking the same thing! Have been trying to think of some sort of appropriate bumper stick that would help people understand why I 'brake' so slowly, but have yet to think of something clever.

EV2016 said:
Funny, we did the two car with phone test the other day ourselves. We found exactly the same thing. I think the lights come on at the right time.

Ha....I tested it by looking at the illumination of reflective street signs in the rear view mirror... at night of course!

Back