Could the battery pack be replaced with a future generation?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irfca

An interesting statement was made in another thread:

edtanas said:
Yep..and and there will probably be better technology with batteries before then enabling greater ranger so a real plus for me having that warranty uo to 250,000 km
I've been wonder if it might be possible for a future version of the batteries to replace the current set, and what the implications might be.

Some of the points I've though up include:
  • * Increased charge time due to higher capacity
  • * Ability for on-board charger to "read" new batteries are full and stop charging
  • * Change in battery charging protocol
  • * Control software to report correct range, capacity, etc...
  • * Change in battery configuration, voltage, etc

So far, I don't think any EV has had a new generation of battery technology come along, with higher capacities, that would test this ability. From articles, it would seem the LEAF may be the first test in a year or two ... but then who knows how long they will be able to replace it with today's existing technology vs a future, improved technology!

On a plus/support note, there are plug-in battery packs available for some of the HEVs such as the Prius, Highlander, and others.

What do otherings think?

I may be wrong but I thought tesla had upgraded the older batteries in their roadsters. So I think it's realistic that when it comes time to replace the battery in the soul, there'll be higher density replacements...and whatever software upgrades are needed.

That's Tesla. They are not the quintessential automaker like the established brands that mostly don't give a rat's ass unless they're dragged before the congress to do anything different than they've done before.

I was optimistic Leaf would be upgradable. The only upgrade that finally showed up for my '11 was the same 73-mile battery that needed to be refitted, and cost 5-6 grand. I'd end up with the same range for big money. A bigger, say 120-mile battery? Who wants to wait for that? Will it ever happen? Would it ever happen? It's like being on indefinite hold...

So I hung up, folks, dumped the Leaf and now love my Soul. Best move I've ever made.

So, don't count on it. Even Kia is in business to move new metal, not batteries for old metal. That is also why I lease until the range is 4-6 hundred miles. Then I may buy again. EVs are a new paradigm. They are not the keepers of yesteryear, like my '92 Accord. It's the price we have to pay to save environment and mess with the Saudis, Putin and Venezuela's Maduro.

Many OEM chargers are "programmable" or CAN controlled so it is definitely possible to upgrade the battery and change the charging parameters. The software for range determination and so forth could also be updated. Whether the OEM will do that is up for question. You might need to hack the system to change it but it could be done. In time I'm sure someone will produce a "chip" like I got for my pickup to program in a larger tire diameter (among other things) than the OEM allowed for.

Back